To describe this salad without using the word spectacular is almost impossible for me. The flavors in this arugula fig and goat cheese salad are out of this world. The honey lemon dressing takes it to a new level of deliciousness.
I don’t know about all of you but this time of year, all I could think is – where did this summer go? At our house, it is truly a blur. Between, planning the Food and Wine Conference, the actual event weekend, coming down from the excitement the following week, vacation at the Jersey Shore, the start of football season. Next thing I knew, my kids were starting school. My baby is in his last year of middle school and it just seems so hard to believe. It is a constant reminder that time does fly and to cherish every moment together as a family.
Back to school time and football season is absolutely crazy at our house. Between the boy’s football schedule and Ron coaching at another High School. I mean it is really crazy. As you can imagine, I look forward to Labor Day Weekend every year for many reasons. Ron and I were married on this special weekend and will be celebrating 24 years this year. Speaking of time flying!
Here’s the funny thing, we haven’t celebrated our Anniversary the last 16 years. Reis, the little stinker that he is, decided to have a birthday the same day. Therefore, August 31st became Reis’s birthday and we were lucky to remember to say Happy Anniversary to each other. This year, we are celebrating a milestone birthday. Reis’s 16th birthday, the year he will start driving. Another reminder to cherish every moments because before we know it. Our kids will have spread their wings and fly solo.
I am making it a point to enjoy the birthday celebration but we will also be enjoying some adult “food” and beverages. I am excited to share this Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad because it is one of my absolute favorite salads. I have always adored figs and when combined with arugula and goat cheese, they are spectacular. But when you add the honey lemon dressing, the flavor combination is out of this world! This creation pairs perfectly with a chilled bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend. It is bursting with peach, tropical fruit and honeydew flavors and perfect for an end of summer or anniversary celebration.
- 6 cups arugula
- 8 figs (any kind you prefer), quartered
- 1 small 3 ounce log of goat cheese cut into 8 slices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice
- zest from half a lemon
- 4 tablespoons honey + additional to drizzle
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- On a large platter, layer the arugula, figs and goat cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and honey and mix until well blended. This can be prepared 24 hours ahead of time, if desired.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad
- Garnish with lemon zest and additional honey if desired
- Season lightly with sea salt and fresh pepper.
We love pairing our recipes with Gallo Family Vineyards Wines. Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on wine pairing tips. Here are quick links to Gallo Family Vineyards profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.Labor Day weekend is all about entertaining and we say go big with these Labor Day fun tips. We will be enjoying pairing our end of the summer treats with Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend and Cafe Zinfandel. Who could resist all these delicious recipes?
Join us Sunday for a Labor Day celebration with wine in mind. Here is a preview of the recipes to come:
For your Labor Day feast:
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.