Today, I am so excited and honored to have my daughter, Alexandra posting. She is the reason Family Foodie was born and continues to inspire me every day. It is so wonderful to have her home from college and working with me this summer. Alexandra is a total hummus addict, we test more hummus recipes than you could imagine. This recipe for Avocado Hummus is just amazing and our entire family is now in love with it. Sometimes on a Friday night, it is just fun to hang out with the family and have an appetizer for #WeekdaySupper.
Something that everyone should know about me is that I am a HUGE fan of hummus. Anytime I go to the store, I have to pick some up. I love to dip anything like fresh vegetables, pitas, tortilla chips or pretzel crisps in it, but it’s also really good on sandwiches. To me, hummus is the perfect healthy snack for in between classes, to satisfy a late night craving or a comfort food when I need it. No matter what time of day, I can always find a way to incorporate it into my meal.
I have always been a big fan, but my true hummus obsession began my freshman year of college. On campus, they sell little cups of hummus with pretzel crisps at the markets, and my roommate and I would always keep some in our mini fridge. Some of the girls in my hall would come sit on the floor of my dorm, while we snacked on chips and hummus and made plans for later. Thankfully, the market was open until 3 AM, so I could run over and grab some whenever it was necessary. It’s funny how something as ridiculous as hummus can bring back such fond memories.
The other day I was on Instagram and I saw a friend had posted a picture of homemade avocado hummus, and it looked amazing. I mean, come on, we’re combining two of my favorite foods together, hummus AND avocados. I couldn’t resist! So basically, my Friday night dinner consisted of carrots, broccoli and hummus, and let me tell you it was the perfect meal.
- 2 cans Garbanzo beans
- 2 large avocados
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Drain and wash Garbanzo beans.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Should be thick and creamy... If too thick add a little water or extra virgin olive oil
- Serve with fresh vegetables or chips
Check out this week’s #WeekdaySupper recipes from our contributors.
- Monday – Hip Foodie Mon – Fresh Asian Noodle Bow
- Tuesday – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz – Easy Individual Chicken Pot Pies with a Cauliflower Crust
- Wednesday – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies – Grilled Ginger Pork with Asian Slaw
- Thursday – Noshing With The Nolands – Paprika Chicken
- Friday – Family Foodie – Avocado Hummus