What could be more fun than packing up the car and taking the family on a picnic. There is nothing quite like it. I love surprising my kids when they have half days, showing up at school with picnic basket packed. You never know what I will pack in that basket. It can range from Cuban Sandwiches to this delicious Barley Rice Salad with Tahini Dressing.
We love rice and is perfect for a Spring or Summer day. The tangy Tahini Dressing adds an amazing depth of flavors. Not only is this Barley Rice Salad perfect for a picnic, it is perfect for cookouts, celebrations and any time that you need to feed a crew.
This Barley Rice Salad is packed with flavor and fresh ingredients. The tangy, yet light tahini dressing, will wow your guests at the next get together.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup pearl barley
- Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 spring onions or green onions, sliced
- 2 cups red and yellow grape tomatoes, slices thin
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the rice and barley. Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Let the rice and barley sit and cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk greek yogurt, lemon juice, hot water, tahini and honey.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Add rice to dressing and toss to combine.
- Add spring onions, tomatoes, almonds and parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.