Mac and Cheese is made for a cowboy but is certain to win the love of your family!
I am not going to lie… I have never cooked for a cowboy. But I can tell you I have cooked for hundreds of football players. Let’s be honest how much different could it be too cook for a cowboy than a football player? They both love hearty, delicious and stick to your ribs kind of recipes! I tested this BBQ Beef Mac and Cheese on my boys and some football players hanging around our house at dinner time this week and they reassured me it was worthy enough to cook for a cowboy!
I am thrilled to be in Kansas this week for an over the top experience. I have the honor of joining Certified Angus Beef ® brand for a unique opportunity to get an insider’s view of the beef community. I love learning how the world’s best brand of beef, the Certified Angus Beef ® brand, goes from farm gate to dinner plate.
Not only will I be learning on this exclusive ranch tour, but you can follow along on my instagram and twitter by following #RootsInBoots. This experience will introduce you to several different segments of the beef community. A variety of experts will discuss ranching, cattle care, land stewardship, beef quality, and cooking with beef.
I love that we will have the opportunity to meet ranch families, ask questions and learn how beef is raised. Our ranch hostess, Debbie Lyons-Blythe of Blythe Family Farms, is excited to show us around her ranch and highlight a typical day… if there is such a thing!
And of course, I can’t wait to cook with a real cowboy! We will be learning from the best, Cowboy Kent Rollins and his wife Shannon will be whipping up a Chuckwagon Dinner in the Pasture and teaching us how to make the most delicious cowboy biscuits! To say I am excited is an understatement!
This is one trip I am certain I will never forget! I have a feeling I will know exactly what to cook for a cowboy once it is over!
Back to the BBQ Beef Mac and Cheese recipe… have you ever tried homemade mac and cheese combined with BBQ sauce? I was so surprised the first time I tried it. It is an amazing combination of flavors that could only be made better by adding Certified Angus Beef ® brand ground beef to it. Trust me on this one… you need to try this!
- For the Beef:
- 1 pound of Certified Angus Beef ® brand ground beef
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon or one close fresh ground garlic
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce
- For the Mac and Cheese:
- 2 cups small macaroni any shape you like (I used Corkscrew and Rotini)
- 3 tablespoons Salted Butter
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- Pinch ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups Sharp Cheddar, I used both white and yellow cheddar because I like the colors together
- Cook Macaroni as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, brown Certified Angus Beef ® brand ground beef with onions and garlic in large skillet. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until the beef is cooked through and drain.
- Add BBQ Sauce and stir until well blended. Cook for an additional 10 minutes until the beef is caramelized. There should be very little liquid left.
- In the meantime, cook and drain macaroni according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in large ovenproof skillet over medium heat . Sprinkle flour into butter and whisk constantly until you have thick, smooth paste, about 5 minutes.
- Add pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Gradually whisk in milk and continue stirring until sauce thickens and returns to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low. Add 2 cups of cheese and stir until melted.
- Add macaroni, stirring until well coated.
- Pour the BBQ Beef mixture over the Macaroni and Cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbling throughout.
Don’t forget to join us on Twitter this Sunday, June 25th, at 7p ET for a LIVE Twitter Chat with Certified Angus Beef®brand. We’ll be talking all about cowboy cooking and sharing more cast iron tips! You can follow along with #SundaySupper .
Make sure to check out all the Cowboy Cooking inspired Sunday Supper recipes below! You’re sure to find one that you and your family will love. And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!Beefed Up Main Dishes
- BBQ Beef Mac and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Chuckwagon Beef Stew by The Chef Next Door
- Cowboy Chili (Easy Texas Red Chili) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Cowboy Sushi by NinjaBaker.com
- Grilled Beef Skewers by The Freshman Cook
- Healthier Baked Italian Meatballs by Hardly A Goddess
- Hearty Steak and Black Bean Chili on Rice by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Steak and Egg Hash by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cowboy Burgers by Home Sweet Homestead
- Grilled Butter Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Open Faced Steak Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Steak Sandwiches by Restless Chipotle
- Barbecue Beef Skillet Cornbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef and Cabbage Bake by Our Good Life
- Cowboy Nachos by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker Cowboy Baked Beans by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chicken Fried Ribeye by Life Tastes Good
- Curry Chili Rubbed Sirloin Steak by Food Done Light
- Grilled Porterhouse with Foil Pouch French Onion Green Beans by Sunday Supper Movement
- Paleo Salisbury Steak by Cricket’s Confections
- Ribeye & Scallops with Beer-Butter Sauce by Gourmet Everyday
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.