BBQ Chicken on the Grill to-go is delicious when enjoyed hot right off the grill or when traveling for a potluck.
Summer and BBQ Chicken on the grill go hand in hand at our house. This recipe is our go to when entertaining at home or when traveling. We recently enjoyed a day with the kids canoeing and Ron whipped up a big batch the night before. We let them cool a bit and placed the delicious BBQ drumsticks in large ziplock baggies and threw them in the cooler. They were the hit of our trip and provided great sustenance for 12 hungry teenagers. We may or may not have gone through 24 sandwiches and 36 drumsticks as we paddled down the river.
The trick with these delicious drumsticks is cooking them on the top rack and only adding the BBQ Sauce when you bring them down to the bottom rack during the last 15 to 20 minutes. They will get a beautiful reddish brown color and the BBQ Sauce will caramelize. It doesn’t get any easier or more delicious. The only thing you will need is lots of napkins!
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 Green onions
- 1 Lemon
- Preheat Grill to Medium - or 450º
- Place chicken on top shelf for approximately 30 minutes with the grill closed
- Move the chicken to the bottom and grill for approximately 10 minutes rack to get a nice sear- rotate the chicken to get an even color on all sides
- Brush bbq mixture on the chicken on all sides and cook an additional 15 minutes
- Brush a second layer of bbq mixture and turn the grill on high for 5 minutes (be careful watch carefully at this point, do not allow a flame to form)
- Chicken should be a golden red color with bits of dark brown.
- Sprinkle with green onions (optional)
- Garnish with lemon and sprinkle lemon on top when ready to eat (optional)
Join us for Sunday’s 7 p.m. ET Twitter chat when we share tips and recipes for food that can be packed and toted. The chat is being hosted by Marion of Life Tastes Good with help from Coleen at The Redhead Baker. Check out these other fantastic recipes for Food that Travels.
- Almond Flour Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Cherry Blueberry Pie by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Pound Cake with Lime Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Classic Carrot Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- No Bake Banana Pie in a Jar by Our Good Life
- No Bake Millionaire Shortbread Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Oatmeal Raisin Banana Bars by What Smells So Good?
Mains in Motion
- BBQ Chicken On The Grill To Go by Family Foodie
- Chicken Salad Skewers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cobb Salad in a Jar by Life Tastes Good
- Farro with Eggplant and Tomato by Cooking Chat
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole by Simply Healthy Family
- Pan Bagnat (Provençal Tuna Sandwich) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pastitsio – Greek Pasta and Lamb Casserole by Food Done Light
- Roasted Vegetable Tart by Adventures in All Things Food
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs by The Freshman Cook
- Spinach Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan SuperFood Bowl by Sustainable Dad
- Grilled Corn, Bean & Radish Salad by Feeding Big
- Heirloom Tomato Salsa by Nosh My Way
- Parmesan Pasta Salad by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cherry Crumble No-Bake Energy Bars by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Energy Balls by Noshing With The Nolands
- Sunflower Seed Oatmeal Bars by Magnolia Days
- 5 Comfort Food Tips by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.