These BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwiches are perfect for a day outdoors. So easy to prepare – no picnic should be without this deliciousness!
It’s National Picnic month and I couldn’t think of a better time to celebrate outdoors! It is so true, picnics have a way of bringing people together and we’re all about getting together and celebrating everyday moments. There is something special about a day at the park or beach with your favorite friends and family. Living in Florida, we have many of excuses to pack a cooler full of our favorite foods and drinks and head outdoors.
One dish no picnic should be without is my BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwiches. It is such a fantastic dish for a picnic because it is super easy and can be prepared overnight. It is easy to transport because you can bring the slow cooker with you to your favorite park. Lucky for us, our favorite park is only 10 minutes away and has electrical outlets at each shelter. I plug it in and leave it on warm so that everyone can serve themselves. Just bring the buns and sides and we are good to go. It is so much easier than spending time over a hot grill at the park.
Having the BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwiches prepared ahead of time gives me time to enjoy a glass of wine and mingle with friends. Have I told you that I am totally in love with the Gallo Family Vineyards Mini Bottles? They are so perfect for a picnic! You know I am a Gallo Family Chardonnay Girl, but this BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwich paired with Gallo Family Pinot Noir is absolutely amazing. The minis make it so easy for everyone to enjoy their favorite Gallo Family wine. As far as I am concerned when outdoors all wine must be chilled. You can check the store locator to purchase these wines for your next picnic.
- 1 4-5 pound Pork Shoulder
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- shredded cabbage, lettuce or cole slaw for garnish (optional)
- If your pork shoulder has a lot of fat, trim the fat before placing in the slow cooker.
- Season the pork shoulder generously with salt and pepper.
- Place in the slow cooker and add onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, beef broth and bbq sauce .
- Cover and cook the pork on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Shred the pork and cook for approximately another hour until the liquid is absorbed and the pork has a caramelized look to it.
- Serve with buns or tortillas.
Consider yourself warned, these tasty little sandwiches will go fast! Make sure you treat yourself to one first. They are not only perfect for National Picnic Month celebration, but also birthday parties, summertime potlucks and ladies night. Check out more inspiration on picnic wine pairing at the Gallo Family website. I always turn to their wine pairing suggestions when I am unsure of a pairing with a meal I am preparing. It really comes in handy when entertaining friends.
We love pairing our recipes with Gallo Family Vineyards Wines. Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on wine pairing tips. Here are quick links to Gallo Family Vineyards profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.
Grab your picnic basket and come along. Who could resist all these delicious recipes!
- 10 Deviled Egg Variations by Sunday Supper Movement
- Thai Spiced Chicken Meatballs with Peanut Sauce by Soni’s Food
Picnic Main Dishes:
- Baked or Grilled Tandoori Chicken Legs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwiches by Family Foodie
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Sandwiches by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- French Ham and Butter Sandwich (Jambon Buerre) by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Honey Chicken Kabobs by Life Tastes Good
- Italian Hoagie Style Pressed Picnic Sandwiches by Feed Me, Seymour
- Kimbap (Korean ‘Sushi’) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Picnic Sandwich Torte by Palatable Pastime
Picnic Salads and Sides:
- BLT Panzanella Salad by Casa de Crews
- Cold Chinese Peanut Noodles by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Lemon Chicken Penne Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mason Jar Salmon Nicoise Salad by Simply Healthy Family
Picnic Sweets and Desserts:
- Banana Pudding Cups by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blueberry Crumb Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Blueberry Peach Snack Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Key Lime Cheesecake Crumb Bars by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Lemon Meringue Pie in a Jar by Desserts Required
- Simple Strawberry Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Southern Fried Apricot Hand Pies by Magnolia Days
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.