Growing up in North Jersey, deli sandwiches were a thing. They were a huge thing. Not only was there a deli at almost every corner, the line was out the door at almost all the time but especially as lunch time. The meat on the deli sandwiches were piled high with meat. I mean it was nothing to see half a pound of meat on one sandwich. One of my favorite memories was a gorgeous roast beef sandwich with mayo from Avenue Deli. Their roast beef was always so tasty and I loved that it was rare in the middle and the mayo oozed out of the huge sandwich with every bite.
Ah, to be a teenager again and be able to eat those huge deli sandwiches every day without any regard. In my 40’s, I now “fool” myself by enjoying a “slimmer” version of this sandwich. I have to tell you, the flavors in my Beef and Avocado Flatbread are pretty amazing and bring back memories of how I felt when I took a bite of the Avenue Deli roast beef sandwich. I am not saying that I don’t still crave a mile high roast beef sandwich with mayo but this his crispy flatbread is pretty amazing in itself.
The avocado is a superstar in this flatbread and takes the place of the mayo. Once you try this deliciousness, you will be hooked. I could eat one everyday for lunch without feeling guilty! These guys are perfect for a fun Sunday Supper or as a appetizer when entertaining <— see how my New Jersey accent came out.
I love making a large roast beef and slicing up the leftover for the beef and avocado flatbread. You can also just purchase your favorite roast beef in deli section of your supermarket. Check out a couple of my favorites Beef Tenderloin in a Chorizo Sauce and Beef Tenderloin with corn and tomatoes. Even a slow cooker beef would work well with this recipe.
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 artisan flatbread crackers, or flatbreads of your choice that have been toasted or 12 small crackers if making appetizers
- 1 plum tomato, sliced thin
- 12 thin slices of roast beef, I love using leftovers but you can also purchase at the deli
- 4 tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
- fresh found salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl mash the avocado and mix with the olive oil and garlic salt until well blended
- Layer the avocado mixture between each of the flatbreads
- Add the tomato on top of each of the flatbreads, approximately 2 to 3 slices on each flatbread
- Layer the roast beef on top of the tomato
- Sprinkle the shaved parmesan cheese on top of the roast beef on each flatbread
- Season with fresh salt and pepper to taste
This event is being hosted by T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley and we couldn’t be more excited about these fantastic recipe – we are not foolin’ around!
- Pina Colada Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Beer Jelly by Brunch with Joy
- Berry Smoothie Incognito by Lifestyle Food Aristry
- Mashed Potato Sundaes by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Roasted Broccoli Dip by Cooking Chat
- Honey Nut Baked Brie Bloomin’ Apple by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Sides & Snacks
- Shepherd’s Trifle by The Joyful Foodie
- Sneaky Veggie Spaghetti Sauce by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Meatloaf “Cupcakes” with Mashed Potato “Frosting” by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- April Fools’ Strawberry Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo & Peas by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Pad Thai with Zoodles by Nosh My Way
- Middle Eastern Roast Chicken with Green Harissa by The Texan New Yorker
- Beef Avocado and Tomato Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Fake-out Sliders and Fries by The Redhead Baker
- Pot Luck Chili Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Fool by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon and “Egg” Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Cupcakes by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Poutine by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Cauliflower Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Fudgy Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fruit Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Mud Pies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Joker Cakes by Gluten Free Crumbley
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.