Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos has been a favorite recipe at our house for years. Especially during football season.
As I headed out to Riley’s Jamboree (opening day of football) yesterday, it was a reminder that first day of school is around the corner. I quickly realized this would be my last Jamboree, Riley will be in High School next year. So many memories came flooding back after 17 Jamborees and Football Seasons. It all began when Alexandra was in Kindergarten and wanted to be a cheerleader. Ron and I sat in the stands watching our little pumpkin cheer after the 5,6,7,8 and along with every other parent, thought she had the most beautiful toe touch at five years old. That day, Ron knew sitting in the stands wasn’t for him. He volunteered to coach one of the football teams. And so it began… championships, heart breaks, celebrations and disappointments. We have laughed, we have cried and we are grateful for many life lessons our four children have learned on the football field.
Who could have predicted that on this weekend for the next 17 years, we would be doing the same thing every year. I am looking forward to Riley’s last year of youth football and enjoying another season full of memories. Next year will start a new chapter for Riley and most likely for us as a family.
Back to School time and football season is always crazy at our house. I look back at years when we had four football games every week and wonder how we made it through the week. Quick and easy meals have been key for us. This recipe for Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos has been an old favorite at our house. Everyone loves the crispy outside and the delicious filling. One thing for sure, your house will smell amazing when you make this recipe.
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ pound ground beef
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 peppers, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 8 slices of provolone or american cheese
- 4 flour tortillas, 8 to 10 inch in size
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat a large skillet on medium high and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Stir in the ground beef and garlic. Continue to stir until the beef is cooked all the way through and is no longer red.
- Remove and set aside. This can be made ahead, if you prefer.
- Add 2 additional tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet.
- Stir in the peppers and onions and sauté until the onions are caramelized and the pepper are soft.
- Combine the beef with the peppers and onions.
- Add 2 slices of provolone or american cheese and stir until well blended and melted.
- In a separate skillet add one tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle the outside of a flour tortilla with garlic.
- Add the tortilla to the skillet and add ¼ of the beef mixture to the middle of the tortilla.
- Roll and fold the tortilla. Fold the opposite sides in and over the filling.
- Cook on all sides until the outside is crispy. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Repeat with all four tortillas.
That’s not all, check out all these great recipes to kick off the new school year. Join us for Sunday’s 7 p.m. ET Twitter chat when we share tips and recipes for all things back to school. This event is being hosted by DB aka Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts and Caroline at Caroline’s Cooking.
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Ideas for the Lunchbox
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
After School Snacks and Beverages
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit ‘n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Healthy Blueberry Peach Oat Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- “Nut Butter” Rice Crispy Balls by Books n’ Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
School Night Suppers
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweets to End the Day
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.