November is here and I can’t help but think about some of my favorite comfort foods. Sweet potatoes, soups and of course roasts always come to mind. I love slow roasting veggies and letting their natural flavor come through by adding just a tad of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. One of my absolute veggies to roast during the fall season is brussels sprouts. I tell you, roasted properly they can be as addictive as french fries. We recently experimented with Brussels Sprouts Flatbread and we were absolutely hooked. Brussels Sprouts are such a great addition to a crispy flatbread with delicious melted cheese. Talk about taking putting a new spin on an old comfort food. This recipe will wow your guests during a holiday party or a fun night with the family.
As the holidays are approaching, and our friends are coming together, we have really enjoyed serving Gallo Family Vineyards wines around the family table. Gallo Family Pinot Grigio brings together more than just friends. It brings together the fresh crisp flavors of green apple, white peach and citrus. The Pinot Grigio was a perfect complement to the delicious flavors of the Brussels Sprouts Flatbread.
For those that love some meat on on their flatbread, prosciutto is such a great addition to this already tasty creation and Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon was the perfect pairing for the robust flavor of Prosciutto. It combines tastes of blackberry and black currants that are balanced by just a hint of oak.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 2 thin flatbreads
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup diced pancetta or prosciutto (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a large bowl combine the brussels sprouts, olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste
- Place the brussels sprouts on a large baking pan and roast for approximately 1 hour or until the brussels sprouts are crispy on the outside
- Remove from oven and cool. When cool, slice the brussels sprouts in quarters and shred them a bit with your hands until they seperate
- Place the flatbread on a pizza pan and layer with ricotta cheese, brussels sprouts, mozzarella cheese, pancetta (optional)
- Sprinkle with oregano and additional sea salt and fresh ground pepper if desired
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and a tad brown on top
As we get closer to the Holidays, I find myself thinking about how to give back and serve others. The Sunday Supper Movement has been such a blessing and we love partnering with brands with great missions. Gallo Family Vineyards believes no one should go hungry, so they have partnered with the Meals On Wheels Association of America for the Every Cork Counts campaign. From now until December 31, 2014, Gallo Family Vineyards is helping feed families by donating $1 to the Meals On Wheels Association of America for every one of their wine corks that you send them or submit as a photo electronically (up to $50,000). Here is a $1 off digital coupon for Gallo Family wines to get you started and so that you can recommend the great wines that we have enjoyed pairing with our favorite recipes.
This week’s recipes are sure to bring you comfort and some deliciousness to your home.
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website (where you can also find a store locator). Get connected with Gallo Family onFacebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for more ideas and updates. Want to incorporate Gallo Family into your Sunday Supper menu? Here is a $1 off digital coupon for Gallo Family wines to get you started.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.