If you have been following me for any time at all, you know that Football Season is the highlight of our year. At one point, we had four football games every week. Football has been a big part of our lives and memories. And of course it wouldn’t be football season without get togethers with family and friends. There is nothing like hosting a team football party after a championship game.
After a busy weekend of our kids football games, we love tailgating at home on Sunday. This recipe for Chicken and Chorizo Nachos has become a home tailgating favorite. The best part of this recipe is that sometimes during a busy weekend, I will double or triple the batch and serve half the Chicken and Chorizo over rice, with a salad for dinner. Trust me when I tell you that this is one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day. The flavors of the garlic, chorizo and wine really come out after sitting in the fridge overnight. On game day, all you have to do is shred the chicken over the tortilla chips, add some cheese and your favorite toppings and you have a winning appetizer.
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3.5 ounces of Portuguese or Spanish Style Chorizo (do not use Mexican Chorizo as the flavor and texture is very different) skin removed and cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon Piri Piri Sauce or Peri Peri Sauce (remember I am a wimp, if you like it spicy - add 2 to 3 tablespoons)
- Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup Gallo Family Chardonnay
- Approximately 4 cups Tortilla Chips
- 2 cups Colby Jack Cheese or Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 4 sweet peppers (again, I'm a wimp) or jalapeno peppers sliced thin
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Additional Chopped Chorizo for garnish
- In a large bowl combine garlic, chicken, bay leaves and smoked paprika.
- Cover and marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil to skillet and marinated chicken.
- Brown the chicken pieces on both sides; until golden brown.
- Add the chorizo to the skillet and continue to brown along with the chicken.
- Mix in the Piri-Piri Sauce and stir until chicken and chorizo is well coated.
- Add wine and turn the stove to low. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using a wooden spoon, shred the chicken and chorizo.
- Layer the Tortilla chips on a baking sheet with Chicken Chorizo Mixture and the cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cheese bubbles.
- Top with peppers, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and chopped chorizo.
- Pink Moscato
- Red Moscato
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- White Zinfandel
- Pinot Grigio
- Pinot Noir
Gallo Family Vineyards is proud to be the Official Wine of Football Season™, and their wines go the distance on the gridiron. And while your family and friends may all be rooting for the same team, they may not all love the same type of wine. With a wide array of game day finger foods, why not provide multiple options and reduce the amount of waste at the end of the party?
And don’t forget… we want you save those 187mL capsules to help end senior hunger. For the 5thyear, our Every Cork Counts program invites Americans to send back their corks and capsules to benefit the Meals On Wheels Association of America. Every cork or capsule collected garners $1 for Meals on Wheels, and it’s easy to donate! Visit GalloFamily.com for more details.
The Sunday Supper Family is as excited as I am to share their favorite Tailgating Recipes with all of you. Check out these delicious recipes!
- Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- Basil and Sundried Tomato Hummus by Ruffles & Truffles
- Braided Stromboli by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Braised Brats with Apples and Onions by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken and Chorizo Nachos by Family Foodie
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Greek Style Grilled Wings with Yogurt Dill Sauce by Supper for a Steal
- Meatball Subs with Garlic-White Wine Sauce by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mini Chorizo and Cheese Quiches by Magnolia Days
- Pizza Rolls by Momma’s Meals
- Ricotta Toasts with Tomatoes by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili by Jelly Toast
- Spicy Grilled Clams in Foil by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Strawberry Mint Red Moscato Sangria by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Dip with Za’atar Chips by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Ultimate Stadium Nachos by Melanie Makes
- Veggie Pizza with Cauliflower Crust by Take A Bite Out of Boca
And if you have not put your grill away, you are going to love these Wine BBQ Pairings that are also perfect for our tailgate recipes from Gallo Family Vineyards.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website (where you can also find a store locator). While you’re there, browse more great grilling recipes, plus Wine and BBQ Pairing suggestions! Get connected with Gallo Family on Facebook, Twitter,Instagram, and YouTube for more ideas and updates. Want to incorporate Gallo Family into your homegating menu? Here is a $1 off digital coupon for Gallo Family wines to get you started.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.