I have had this recipe whirling around in my head for quite some time and after a super busy week, I couldn’t wait to get back in my kitchen and bring the recipe that I had been dreaming about to reality – Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice.
I must admit, I am still buzzing around here on a total natural high. When you plan an event for so long, overseeing every little detail, it becomes a part of you and then to finally see it executed – even better than you could have imagined – it’s a great feeling. That is the feeling that I have had all week – it is truly an amazing feeling to know that the Food and Wine Conference was a huge success.
As I looked around on Saturday evening during our #SundaySupper event, I was reminded that although I was breaking bread with my extended family, the energy that had been created, felt so good. At that moment, I realized that whether we are breaking bread with a large group of family and friends or in our own kitchens, energy feels so good!
By staying active and making healthy food choices, we are better equipped to #ChooseDreams for our families. Fit living is not about resolution or record setting. It is about becoming a healthy and happy family. When you feel your best mentally and physically, you have more energy to and a better ability to explore your passions and achieve your goals and dreams.
After a busy weekend at the Food and Wine Conference with my family, it felt so good to come home and spend some time around the family table inspired by all the great food we had enjoyed all weekend. This recipe for Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice is such a great way to sneak in some spinach and mix up quinoa with brown rice. Even Riley “the picky one” tried it and said, this is actually very tasty.
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- ¼ cup ponzu sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 4.9 ounce package of quinoa and brown rice blend
- 2½ cups water
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
- Combine the chicken breast, ponzu sauce and garlic powder in a large plastic bag or tupperware and marinade for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat a large skillet on high and add the olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the ponzu and garlic mixture.
- Place the chicken breast on the skillet and sear on both sides until a nice crust forms.
- Turn to low and continue to cook for approximately 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how thick the chicken is.
- Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- Add butter to the skillet and stir in the quinoa and brown rice blend.
- Lightly toast the quinoa and brown rice for approximately 2 minutes to bring out the flavor.
- Add the water, reserved ponzu and garlic marinade and spinach. Boil gently for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa and brown rice is soft.
- Slice the chicken breast into strips and serve over the spinach quinoa and brown rice.
The Sunday Supper Movement Family hit the road this weekend from Orlando, FL to Madison, WI. We are so excited to be partnering with American Family Insurance once again this month, as part of their#ChooseDreams initiative! Today’s #SundaySupper theme is Family Healthy Fit Lifestyle, and Denise from Run DMT is our host. We have a line-up of 20 recipes, here’s a sneak peek at our menu.
It was an honor to join American Family Insurance at their Dream Bank – Katie from Ruffles and Truffles, Jennifer from Peanut Butter and Peppers and Denise from Run DMT had so much fun sharing our favorite summer salad recipes with a twist. You can view our demo here.
Fresh garden veggies, comfort foods, family favorites. Find delicious new ways to pursue a healthy, fit lifestyle for your busy crew.
Get Up and Go Power Breakfasts
- Get Up and Go Mocha Breakfast Smoothie by The Foodie Army Wife
- Avocado Tomato and Feta Toast with Poached Eggs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Smoothie by The Messy Baker
Salads and Healthy Snacks
- Cherry Kale Panzanella by Jelly Toast
- Watermelon Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Dressing by Runner’s Tales
- Southwestern Chicken Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bars by Magnolia Days
Healthy Fit Lifestyle Dinners
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa by Foxes Love Lemons
- Blueberry Pork Chops by MealDiva
- Individual Grilled Veggie Pizzas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Almond Cashew Chicken by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Vegetables and Corn Salsa by Ruffles & Truffles
- Chicken and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Pasta by Momma’s Meals
- Spiced Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice by Family Foodie
- Healthy Coconut Banana Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Popsicles by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler by Run DMT
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.