It’s hard to believe that I thought that I was not a huge squash lover. Don’t get me wrong, when Alexandra is home, we love making Spaghetti Squash. Often we add some lemon caper sauce to it or mix in lemon ricotta. But honestly, squash has not been something that we cook very often. That is one of the things that I love about our Sunday Supper Team, they inspire me to try things that I wouldn’t even think of cooking without their encouragement.
When Heather from girlichef suggested hosting a Squashin’ Winter theme, I was a tad stumped as to what to make. I rarely cook squash and as you know, I only feature recipes that my family will try. So, I thought about some of the flavors that we love. For some reason, the Squashin’ Winter theme made me think about Thanksgiving. While mostly everyone serves mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, my first memories of Thanksgiving dinner was with rice. You may ask, who has rice on Thanksgiving? The Portuguese of course, we have rice with everything!
The other thing that the Portuguese always have is chorizo! With wonderful memories of my heritage, I started experimenting in the kitchen and finally came up with Chorizo Craisin Stuffed Squash. I originally thought this recipe would be perfect for the day after Thanksgiving but after tasting it, I actually think this will be a perfect side dish served on Thanksgiving Day.
While you may think that the combination of chorizo and craisins is an odd one, I encourage your to try it and let me know what you think. I have a feeling you will be looking at a picture like this one. We didn’t like the Chorizo Craisin Stuffed Squash at all!
The best part is, there are so many wonderful Squash Recipes to try this week and I will tell you, our Sunday Supper contributors are very talented so — you may want to try one of these recipes first.
- 2 small acorn squash
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- fresh ground sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked rice -- we love to use our Portuguese Rice Recipe
- 2 links (3 oz each) chorizo sausage, casings removed and chopped fine
- 2 green onions or shallot, chopped
- 1 cup craisins
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Cut each squash lengthwise in half; remove seeds and fibers.
- Drizzle cut sides with 2 teaspoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar and crushed red pepper.
- On baking sheet, place squash, cut-sides up and bake 20 to 25 minutes until squash is tender at thickest portion when pierced with fork.
- In skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat
- Add chorizo and green onions and saute until browned
- Stir in cooked rice and craisins and cook about 5 minutes
- Divide chorizo-rice mixture between squash halves
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.