I feel very fortunate, my family truly loves great food and they are always willing to try new flavor combinations. Well, almost always or at least five of us(our youngest may not always be as eager as the rest of us). We love having fresh fruit on our counter and lunch boxes are always filled with clementines or nectarines. Pineapple and raspberries don’t last more than a couple of hours and there is rarely a day that we don’t have some type of salad.
We have been trying to come up with healthier alternatives to some of the “not so healthy recipes” that we also enjoy. One of the recipes that we recently “healthified” (is that even a word?) is a twist on a crab and spinach dip that we love. You know the one, made with mayo, sour cream and cheese. Of course it is delicious but not something that you want to splurge on very often. The challenge was to recreate those flavors in a healthy version.
Since my daughter is a total crab cake fanatic, we decided to try combining a light spinach salad with a crab cake and topping it with fresh shaved parmesan. Did I mention the addition of a sprinkle to truffle sea salt? Oh my, this Crab Cake Salad is the Bomb!
If you have been following me for a while you know that I am a big believer in letting the natural flavors in our food shine through. This is especially true with crab cakes. Fresh crab is amazing, let’s not cover up it’s beautiful flavor adding an abundance of ingredients, which may cause you to lose the essence of crab taste. The point of the other flavors should be to help highlight the crab. Since these crab cakes are more mounds than patties, we don’t need too many fillers to make sure that they stay together.
It is such an honor to be partnering with American Family Insurance once again this month, as part of their #ChooseDreams initiative! They inspired today’s #SundaySupper theme, Family Favorites Turned Healthy, and Katie from Ruffles & Truffles is our host.
For even more inspiration, check out the Family Favorites Turned Healthy #ChooseDreams Pinterest board, or connect with American Family Insurance on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest,Google+, YouTube, or LinkedIn! We welcome you to join us this Tuesday, June 24 at 6:00 pm EST for a fun Google+ hangout.
There is nothing boring about these recipes – they are packed with flavor! They are just fantastic and perfect for the family that wants to #ChooseDreams with eating healthy meals together!
- Angel Hair & Zucchini Noodles with Fresh Tomato Sauce by Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Beef Stroganoff by Country Girl in the Village
- Buffalo Cauli-Tots by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Corn and Crab Chowder by The Dinner-Mom
- Crab Cake Salad by Family Foodie
- Grilled Portabella Mushrooms On Red Pepper Slaw with Cucumber Dressing by Seduction In The Kitchen
- Healthy Chicken Salad by Run DMT
- Lighter Chipotle Beef Tacos by Alida’s Kitchen
- Meatballs with Vegetable Noodles and Fresh Tomato Sauce by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower Mac & Cheese by The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms and Spinach by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex Mex Enchilada Skillet Lasagna by Neighborfood
- Zucchini Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chewy Coconut Granola Bars by Savvy Eats
- Enlightened Southern Banana Puddings by The Weekend Gourmet
- Mom’s Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Vanilla Canap?s by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Superfood Pancakes by girlichef
- Zucchini Carrot Cake by The Foodie Army Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.