Have you ever been to Disney World without the kids? Well, I am going to tell you why you must go!
I love going to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival without my kids. This is a tradition that I enjoy every year with my girlfriend, Lou Anne. As much as I love taking my kids to Disney World, this is girlfriend time! The funny this is, the first time that did an “adults only” trip to Epcot Food and Wine Festival, I saw the park in a whole new light. I always knew Epcot was beautiful but it is really beautiful when you are not running from ride to ride with kids and you are taking your time strolling through.
This year’s Epcot Food and Wine Festival was fabulous! I will admit, I went into it with a tad of a bad attitude. You see, I learned that Portugal and Brazil would not take part in the festival this year and this did not go over well with me. I will admit, I was very disappointed in the food selection that represented these countries last year. There are so many fabulous Portuguese and Brazilian recipes and the ones that were showcased did not do these two countries justice. Seriously, how do you showcase Portugal and not have a Chorizo Recipe? C’mon! Still, I felt that they should have been given one more year to showcase their recipes. They were replaced by Terra & Florida Local. Sorry, Epcot Food and Wine Festival, I just don’t get it. How is this bringing us an International Experience? Let me end my little rant that aside from that, this year’s Epcot Food and Wine Festival was fabulous!
The top 10 Reasons you need to visit Epcot Food and Wine Festival without the kids:
1. The Crispy Shrimp Tacos… they got my vote for Family Foodie Festival Favorite.
2. You actually stroll and enjoy nature. For some reason, I never seem to observe things such as butterflies when I am in the companyof my children at Epcot.
3. Doing all the things that would embarrass your children if they were present.
4. Getting to know the Ocean Spray Cranberry Farmer and learning all about cranberries…. no one told me to hurry up so they could get on the next ride.
5. Enjoying one of the coolest and most fascinating experiences, the greenhouse ride at the Living with the Land. Did you know the researchers and scientists that work in this facility have been able to dramatically increase crop yields in low-soil environments, engineering tomato plants that produce up to 35,000 tomatoes in 16 months, 9 pound lemons, and even fish and alligators. You probably didn’t because you were running to the “cool rides” with your kids.
6. Be Silly and do things that would completely embarrass your kids!
7. When in France have Escargot! Seriously, they were amazing. This was a close second as my favorite dish. Besides, who can resist a a dish that has a hidden Mickey.
8. The wine seminars were awesome this year. We loved tasting and learning about new wines.
9. Get samples of Ghirardelli Chocolates. While there, you will be fascinated by all the beautiful chocolate creations. They were phenomenal.
10. When in Mexico… drink Margaritas! The Strawberry Lime Margaritas were out of this world.
And don’t forget, the whole point of a trip to Epcot without the kids is to do all those silly things that would embarrass them. Then you post pics to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and your blog so that all their friends can see how silly mom’s can be when they go to Epcot without kids!
We had so much fun, I can hard wait until next year! I just hope Portugal is back.
- Chipotle Mayonnaise Ingredients:
- ⅔ cups mayonnaise
- 7.5 ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, puréed
- Shrimp Tempura Ingredients:
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon parsley, dried
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup water
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails removed (approximately 30-35 shrimp)
- Shrimp Tacos Ingredients:
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- ¾ cup favorite salsa verde
- Shrimp Tacos Ingredients:
- (6-inch) flour tortillas
- cups shredded red cabbage
- /4 cup favorite salsa verde
- For Chipotle Mayonnaise:
- Mix mayonnaise and puréed chipotle peppers in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- For Shrimp Tempura:
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375ÚF in a deep fryer.
- Beat egg white in a small bowl until frothy and light. Do not overbeat. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, cornstarch, salt, parsley, paprika, baking powder, garlic powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add water and egg white; mix until smooth.
- Add shrimp and toss until fully covered with batter.
- Drop 6 to 8 at a time in hot oil. Do not overcrowd. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove fried shrimp and drain on paper towels.
- To serve:
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of chipotle mayonnaise on flour tortilla and place 3 shrimp down middle. Top with small handful of cabbage and drizzle with salsa verde.