Feijoada ~ Portuguese Bean Stew #SundaySupper Comfort Food
Recipe type: Sunday Supper
Cuisine: Comfort Food Recipes
- 2 pounds white beans or black eyed peas
- 1 ham hock
- 1 pound ham chunks
- 2 carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled but otherwise whole
- 1 tablespoon piri-piri
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- Black pepper and chopped parsley to garnish
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- Soak beans for at least 8 hours. If you don’t have 8 hours, soak repeatedly in the hottest water you can get from the tap, replacing it when it cools.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, gently brown ham.
- When the ham is brown, add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the coriander, bay leaves and a healthy sprinkling of salt, then add the beans and mix it all together.
- Cover by 1 inch with chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for approximately 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven and test the beans. If they are still rocks, return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- If the beans are getting tender, add the carrots, garlic cloves, chile paste and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove and, still covered, leave the pot on top of the stove for up to 20 minutes, although you can serve immediately.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley and black pepper, and serve with crusty bread.
Recipe by Family Foodie at http://familyfoodie.com/feijoada-portuguese-bean-stew-comfort-food-sundaysupper/