There is nothing better than being inspired by seasonal ingredients. I love shopping our local Farmer’s Market every Saturday during the Spring. It truly is the highlight of our week. We know the merchants at this point and love asking them “What is really good this week?” We love sampling the product and thrive on bringing it home and spending time Around the Family Table creating a new recipe. When I saw these Eggplants…it was love at first sight! I couldn’t wait to make Eggplant Peppers and Onions.
On this week’s visit to the Farmer’s Market, the eggplant looked amazing. I have to tell you, I don’t like thick, oily and sauce laden eggplant.
I decided to try a much lighter version and boy am I glad I did. This is one of those dishes that is light but so hearty at the same time. You almost can’t believe you are eating all veggies.
Eggplant Peppers and Onions Recipe
- 1 Medium Eggplant
- 1/2 Red Pepper (or pepper of your choice) sliced thin
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced thin
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Canola Oil to line bottom of frying pan
- 1 TSP Feta Cheese or Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel the Eggplant
- Use a vegetable peeler and slice the Eggplant into thin slices
- Heat Canola Oil in frying pan (Just enough to saute)
- Mix Cornmeal, Parmesan Cheese, and Garlic Powder
- Dredge Eggplant in Cornmeal mixture on both sides
- Fry until golden brown on both sides
- Remove and drain on frying pans
- Add salt and pepper to taste to the eggplant
- Add sliced Peppers and Onions to warm pan and saute for 15 minutes on low
- Plate Eggplant with Onions and Peppers on top
- Sprinkle with Feta or Parmesan Cheese