I can remember waking up on Saturday mornings to the sweet smell of caramel coming from the kitchen. It was the most wonderful smell to wake up to. Hearing the sound of the mixer whirling as this amazing smell made it’s way into my room could only mean one thing. I immediately knew that my mother was making Pudim de Flan and most likely would be inviting our Portuguese friends over for Sunday Supper.
Sunday Supper, was almost always served by 3 o’clock. When my American friends would ask, why do you eat so early, we chalked it up to “It’s a Portuguese Thing.” We were always certain that there would be a delicious dessert served after Sunday Supper and there was a 50-50 chance that it would be Flan Pudding or Rice Pudding.
My mother would almost always prepare the Pudims one day ahead of time and serve them cold. I loved to eat them when they were still piping hot and would always beg to have her make them in small ramekins — that way, I wouldn’t have to wait to dig in.
My four children grew up anticipating that when we visit Vo-Vo’s house, there will most likely be a Flan Pudding in the fridge waiting for them. As they like to say, no one makes Flan like Vo-Vo does. When I tried this new spin on the traditional Portuguese Flan, I was a little hesitant to share it with my family for fear that it wouldn’t meet the Vo-Vo seal of approval.
While it will never compare to Vo-Vo’s Flan, we have fallen in love with Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce at our house. The biggest difference in this Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce is that it is baked in the oven and the caramel sauce is made even more delicious by the sweet Moscato Wine. Now, I must make this for Vo-Vo and Vo and see if they approve!
We’re going all sweet on you for this week’s #SundaySupper! We are honored to have Dixie Crystals hosting this event and are so excited to be sharing our favorite Springtime Treats with you.
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma’s Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. All opinions are my own.