What is it about a Grilled Cheese Sandwich? There is just something that takes us all back to our childhood. It brings me back to days where my father was cooking grilled cheese for me for breakfast. My girlfriends would walk in, through the side door to walk me to school, and couldn’t believe that I was eating grilled cheese for breakfast.
As I look back, something strikes me as odd. The first being, my father was not much of a cook. The second, grilled cheese was not a very Portuguese thing kind of thing. Yet, we had purchased one of those handy dandy sandwich makers, you know the ones -I think everyone in the 80s had one, and my father was making me one of the most delicious breakfasts that I can remember.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches evoke memories. There are few that would argue that a Grilled Cheese Sandwich can be turned into a totally gourmet experience. The Sunday Supper Family has done just that – they have taken that grilled cheese sandwich to the next level in honor of the National Grilled Cheese Month. Trust me when I tell you, this New Grilled Cheese Sandwich is not the american cheese in between two pieces of white bread that we grew up on.
This French Onion Grilled Cheese will remind of you a combination French Onion Soup and Grilled Cheese. The combination of the melted cheese and the tangy onions will have you drooling!
The only thing that could have made these fantastic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches even better is wine paired perfectly with each sandwich. We are so excited to have Gallo Family joining us around the family table for Sunday Supper. This week we will be featuring their Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. Two excellent choices to pair with the perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
The Gallo Family Sauvignon Blanc balances the fruit flavors of honeydew melon, citrus and ripe apple, providing a light and crisp finish. It is a personal favorite! Although I loved adding The Pinot Noir to the onions — it was fantastic with the caramelization, I loved pairing this grilled cheese sandwich with the light and crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
The Gallo Family Pinot Noir is a medium bodied wine that provides a smooth and light finish with aromas of cherry and sweet fruit flavors. You can never go wrong by serving a bottle of the Gallo Family Pinot Noir!
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Red Onions, sliced thin
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Gallo Pinot Noir or Merlot
- ½ teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- 8 slices of Sourdough or Country Bread
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Slice 2 red onions thinly and add to skillet.
- Season with salt and cracked black pepper, and spread in an even layer.
- Cover and turn heat to medium-low. Sweat, steam and soften the onions, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking until caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 2 tablespoons Pinot Noir or Merlot Wine and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the griddle to medium-low heat.
- Put ½ cup mozzarella cheese on 4 pieces country white or sourdough bread.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of onions.
- Close and butter both sides with softened butter.
- Place on the griddle; cover with a metal bowl and let the sandwiches get a nice golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip, cover again and cook until the cheese is melted and the sandwiches are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
There is nothing better than wine and cheese. Join us on Sunday as we share some of our fantastic Grilled Cheese Creations and pair them with these Gallo Family Vineyards favorites. I bet you will have to try some of these fantastic recipes in your kitchen.
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood
If you would love to try some of our Sunday Supper Recipes and want to find a retailer carrying Gallo Family Wines near you, click here. You can also visit Gallo’s website or connect with via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.