Have you ever tasted a cookie that makes you smile? Is it the cookie or is it memories that cookie evokes? Have you ever tried Happy Birthday Thumbprint Cookies? I bet they would make you smile. It’s what they do to me. They make me smile, happy and feel loved.
What could be so special about a Thumbprint Cookie? Everyone has tried one before. But this one is so special because it is made with love…the buttery shortbread like cookie with a drop of strawberry or grape jelly. Some would argue that it has to be topped with sprinkles. Not me, give it to me straight up with strawberry preserves and no sprinkles.
No one makes Happy Birthday Thumbprint Cookies like my friend Colleen. It is just not possible to make these simple cookies, so perfectly baked like she does… is it possible that she fills them with extra love? Colleen loves to add sprinkles on top because it makes them more festive. I like them plain because I love how smooth and buttery they taste. For some reason, the sprinkles just are just too much for such an unpretentious cookie.
- 3½ cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- Sift flour.
- Add baking powder and salt and sift again
- Cream butter
- Add sugar gradually and continue to beat until light
- Add well beaten eggs and blend
- Add vanilla
- Combine the dry ingredients and the creamed mixture
- Mix well and chill
- Roll into half dollar size balls
- Place on greased cookie sheet and make a well with your thumb
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes
- Do not over bake... they must be very soft
- Let cool and add jelly or preserves of your choice
- If you must, add sprinkles
Today, I am baking these delicious Happy Birthday Thumbprint cookies and stuffing them with love for another friend. Although Carla and I have never met in person, we have become good friends through the Sunday Supper Movement. It is just amazing the wonderful individuals that have been brought together by this movement. There are times that I have to ask myself, have we really never met in person? Carla is such a big part of our group and I just can’t imagine what we would do without her.
Carla is a talented photographer and is one of those people that selflessly shares her knowledge with others. I have learned so much from her and I am honored to have her take part of our Inaugural Food and Wine Conference this year. She is on the photography panel and something tells me, our photographs will never look the same after spending a weekend with her. Photography aside, I just can’t wait to give her a big hug when I finally get the opportunity to meet her in person!
Happy Birthday Sweet Friend! Thank you for inspiring me with your recipes and photography all year! Most of all, Thank you for continuously sharing your talents.
If you want to see Carla in action and take your photography to the next level, join us in Orlando this summer for the
We’re having a party! I’m not alone in this celebration… check out these other fabulous Birthday Recipes:
- Coconut Fudge Cream-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars ~ Juanita’s Cocina
- Chocolate Mousse Cake for Chocolate Moosey ~ Chocolate, Chocolate, and More
- Chocolate Moose Cookies | Happy Birthday Chocolate Moosey ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Individual Funfetti Cake ~ The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Moose Cupcakes ~ Daily Dish Recipes
- Torticas de Moron (Cuban Sugar Cookies) ~ Magnolia Days
- Funfetti Cookie Cups ~ The Messy Baker
- Happy Birthday Thumbprint Cookies ~ Family Foodie
- Lemon Poppyseed Layer Cake for a Chocolate Moosey Birthday ~ Gotta Get Baked
- Blackberry Cobbler ~ Jen’s Favorite Cookies