This easy and delicious make-ahead blueberry french toast is perfect for brunch or Mother’s Day.
I have the perfect Mother’s Day Brunch recipe to share with you. I am in love with this recipe for so many reasons. The first one being the amazing taste. One bite and you will be wondering if this is really french toast or bread pudding. While this recipe can be made with white bread and it is a delicious Make-ahead Blueberry French Toast Strata, I encourage you to splurge and make it with brioche. Promise me you will to try this delicious recipe at least once made with brioche. Trust me, mom will be thanking you after one bite.
The best part about it is that no one has to spend time in the kitchen on Mother’s Day or the day of the party. The entire dish can be prepared the night before and cooked the next morning. The bread absorbs the egg and maple syrup mixture overnight and makes the fluffiest, silky smooth combination with little pockets of cream cheese and sweet blueberries.
It’s so easy to prepare that the kids can get in the kitchen and help tear up the bread and add the cream cheese. I love that it can be served in individual ramekins (a true showstopper) or in a casserole dish. Warm additional maple syrup and serve with additional blueberries. This dish is also delicious made with raspberries, blackberries or strawberries.
It may be more like dessert than breakfast but hey… it’s Mother’s Day and we all deserve a treat!
- 1 brioche loaf, approximately 14 ounces, cubed or 5 cups of white bread cubed without crust
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pint of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, sliced into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Spray a 9 by 11 baking dish or 8 ramekin dishes with cooking spray.
- Place half the bread cubes in the bottom.
- Evenly place the cream cheese cubes over the top of the bread.
- Place the remaining bread on top.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, syrup and milk.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
- Combine the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar and pour them over the bread mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and chill overnight.
- Preheat over to 350º.
- Bake for 20 minutes with aluminum foil on.
- Remove aluminum foil, sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until top is bubbling.
The only thing that could make this Make-ahead Blueberry French Toast is a glass of Cosmo-Moscato.