I will never forget the first time I visited New Orleans. I had heard so many things about this great city and couldn’t wait to eat my way through our long weekend. This was especially true since I was eight months pregnant with Riley. The funny thing is, it wasn’t the jambalaya or even the beignets that left a memorable impression on me. It was their fried chicken. I can still remember just how crispy and flavorful it was.
I was thrilled when I received this months #BeshBox by Chef John Besh and it included the recipe for his New Orleans Fried Chicken. The anticipation was killing me as I was frying the chicken. Could this recipe really resemble the one that I remember from 12 years ago? I don’t know that it was exactly how I remembered it to be but it was pretty darn close — maybe even better.
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Canola Oil
- Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add the chicken to boiling water for 7 minutes.
- Allow to cool and dry.
- Season the flour in a shallow dish with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Mix together eggs and milk in a medium bowl.
- Dip the chicken in the egg wash and dredge in the flour mixture.
- Bring canola oil to 350° in a large skillet and fry the chicken.
Recipe adapted from Chef John Besh’s #BeshBox
The #SundaySupper crew is celebrating Mardi Gras with an incredible list of decadent and New Orleans inspired recipes! Leading us on our journey is our hostess for the week, Leslie from La Cocina de Leslie. Bring on the Beignets and Hurricanes and everything in between!
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab and Corn Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle (Swabian Doughnuts) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.