It’s that time of year when we start to get a little sad that football season is coming to an end. This football family loves bringing #SundaySupper into the family room for Football Sunday. Although I am looking forward to enjoying dinners around the kitchen family table again, I have to admit, we always get a tad sad when the season comes to an end.
Last week’s recipe for hometown Cuban Sandwich Dip was a huge hit. You know when anything even comes close to our beloved Pepperoni Pizza Dip, it must be over the top delicious. I was asked, by one of our followers, why not make a Philadelphia hometown favorite dip? He suggested the Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip. You all know that I am a Jersey Girl but Ron grew up outside of Philly and we lived there when we were first married.
If you have ever enjoyed a Philadelphia Cheesesteak, you know they are the best. What could be more brilliant than a Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip, right? Thinly sliced steak, peppers and onions in a cheesy sauce. I just couldn’t help myself, I had to throw it all together and bake it in a ciabatta roll. This cheesy goodness of a dip is the bomb!
And just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, I paired this deliciousness with one of my favorite Gallo Family Wines – the new Riesling. To me, the flavors that really stood out in this delicious Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip were the caramelized onions and peppers. Gallo Family Riesling features whispers of honeysuckle, juicy peach, pear and ripe citrus. It was such a wonderful complement to this delicious dip.
Ron, on the other hand really enjoyed this dip with one of this all time favorites. He loves his red, especially Merlot, and to him the steak and Gallo Family Merlot were a match made in heaven. What can I say, opposites attract! Either way, you are going to love this fantastic dip. Why choose? Pick up a bottle of each and let me know which one you preferred.
- 1 large green pepper, sliced thin and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ pound thinly sliced steak or 6 frozen cheesesteak steaks
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ pound provolone cheese, chopped
- ½ pound american cheese, chopped
- One large ciabatta loaf
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Heat a large skillet to medium high and add the steak. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, chop the steak into small pieces as it cooks. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and onion and saute until pepper and onion are soft. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic powder, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cream cheese, provolone cheese and american cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is well blended.
- Cut a rectangular hole in the middle of the ciabatta loaf and hollow out the middle.
- Scoop the cheesy mixture into the hole in the bread or place in round casserole dish.
- Place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Garnish with additional sauteed peppers and onions if desired.
- Serve with additional slices of bread, crackers and slices of peppers.
Isabel’s hints and tips:
- Make friends with your butcher and they will slice a great piece of steak very thin for you.
- Chop the onions very fine and they will give the steak a great flavor when cooking together.
- Use the bread as a bowl but also make sure that you use it as part of the dip. I promise you, it is the best part. The flavors baked into the bread are just fantastic.
If you are looking for more game day bites and fun Football Sunday ideas, we have just the thing. Check out these delicious recipes from our #SundaySupper Tastemakers.
- Bacon and Cheese Pretzel Bites by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Bison Burger Sliders by Nosh My Way
- Baked Southwestern Eggrolls by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Fries by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Baked Arancini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Chorizo Cheese Dip by Casa de Crews
- Cuban Sandwich Sliders by Recipe for Perfection
- Everything Bagel Breadsticks & Smoked Salmon Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Kicked Up Texas Caviar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mini Mexican Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mexican Chicken Meatballs with Queso by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip by Family Foodie
- Pizza Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Polenta Crostini with Mushroom Sauce by Brunch with Joy
- Rosemary White Bean Dip by Magnolia Days
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza by The Messy Baker
- Spicy Sticky Chicken Wings and Onion Rings by Nik Snacks
- Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweet & Spicy Mango Meatballs by Peanut Butter and Peppers
tips for hosting the big game at your home? Check out Gallo’s advice. Looking for food and wine pairings for your Supper Bowl? Gallo has you covered with their pairing suggestions. If you are looking for even more football finger foods, make sure to check out Gallo’s selection of recipes as well! And if you’re interested in seeing last year’s entertaining pairings from Sunday Supper, check them out on Gallo Family’s blog.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website(where you can also find a store locator). Get connected with Gallo Family on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, see their snaps on Instagram, and watch their videos on YouTube for more ideas and updates. How will you incorporate Gallo Family into your Sunday Supper menu?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.