Is there anything better than an gooey ooey grilled cheese sandwich? Some are purist adding only american or cheddar cheese. Some are super adventurous, adding just about anything they could fit in between two slices of bread. At our house, we can get quite adventurous with our grilled cheese. My boys love coming up with their own combination of flavors combined with some of their favorite cheeses. We are huge Philly Cheesesteak lovers and have come up with a Philly Cheesesteak Dip that is to die for. It only seemed natural that we would come up with a Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Boy were we glad we did. This thing is the bomb!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion sliced thin
- ½ pound thin sliced steak
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 slices of country white bread, or bread of your choice
- 4 slices of american cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet add olive oil and onion and cook on high for 5 minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Add the thin sliced steak and garlic and saute for approximately 3 minutes.
- Layer the cheese on the country white bread on the bottom slice of bread and add the cheesesteak mixture and spread evenly.
- Top with the top slice with cheese.
- Heat a large skillet on high and add the butter.
- When butter is melted add the grilled cheese and cook on high until bread is golden brown, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Flip on the other side and cook until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted in the middle.
- Serve immediately. I love to serve with a great arugula salad.
The only thing that could make this Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich even better for the adults in our house is a great glass of wine. Which wine will you pair your grilled cheese sandwich with? Merlot plays well with bold flavors such as Camembert and cheddar. Pinot Noir is perfect with Italian fontina, mozzarella and provolone. And blue cheese pairs equally nicely with Riesling and Cafe Zinfandel. But guess what pairs really well with steak? One of our favorite wines to pair with steak if Gallo Family Hearty Burgundy. It was a perfect pairing for our Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Truly a match made in heaven.
We hope you will join us around the family table this weekend as we share our clever grilled cheese combinations paired with delicious Gallo Family Vineyards wine. Also look at Gallo’s fabulous grilled cheese recipes. These recipes from the Sunday Supper Family Tastemakers are to to be winners at your family table.
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings by Sunday Supper Movement
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on their happenings and wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.