Portuguese Flatbread Pizza – Pizza Portuguesa is an amazing combination of flavors.
I have a confession to make. It could be seen as a bit of an obsession. And I am afraid I have passed this gene down to my children. It’s true, our entire family is obsessed with pizza. Traditional, Chicago, deep dish, flatbread, grilled, it doesn’t matter to us. Bring on the pizza and we are happy campers!
Imagine how excited we are to hear it is National Pizza Month. In our home, that means we are enjoying pizza every night of the week, or so one can dream. There is a reason I have been called the Flatbread Pizza Queen once or twice. My repertoire of Beef and Avocado Flatbread Pizza, Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread Pizza, Tomato Goat Cheese and Arugula Flatbread Pizza, Roasted Brussels Sprouts Pizza, Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Flatbread Pizza, Asparagus Chicken Flatbread Pizza, Roasted Tomato and Broccoli Rabe Flatbread Pizza, Halloween Ghost Flatbread Pizza, Strawberry and Mozzarella Flatbread Pizza, Grilled Pineapple Prosciutto Pizza, Arugula Prosciutto Flatbread Pizza. Well you get the point, I can make a pizza out of almost any ingredient and it becomes a superstar.
But I have been holding out on you. I’m sorry, but it’s true. I have a pizza up my sleeve that I have not shared with you. It is so delicious and packed with flavor and…. so Portuguese. It is a traditional Portuguese Pizza or Pizza Portuguesa. Of course it involves some of my favorite things: eggs, prosciutto, olives, olive oil, garlic and flatbread. Can you imagine a tastier combination? You know I tend to believe Portuguese flavors are the bomb.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 flatbread
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 6-8 slices Chorizo cured sausage
- 1 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 4-6 black olives (I used kalamata olives)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Slice the onion into thin slices
- Heat a small frying pan on high and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Add the onions and saute for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Place the flatbread on a pizza pan and brush with olive oil
- Spread the mozzarella cheese over the flatbread evenly
- Layer the onions, chorizo, sliced hard boiled eggs, black olives over the cheese
- Sprinkle with dried oregano
- Drizzle with a tad of olive oil
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the ends are crispy and the cheese is bubbling.
- Slice in four and serve.
The best wine to pair with this over-the-top Portuguese Pizza has whispers of honeysuckle, juicy peach and ripe citrus notes to match the pizzas robust flavors. You must try a favorite of mine, Gallo Family Riesling. I happen to think it is a match made in heaven but Ron will disagree with me and insist that this Portuguese Pizza must be paired with the full-bodied Gallo Family Merlot. I say, try them both! We all know who you will agree with in the end… okay I have to admit, I was the Gallo Family Merlot won!
Cheers to National Pizza Month. We have 20 recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers that will keep your family requesting pizza all month-long. As if they ever need an excuse!
- Apple Pie Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pizza by Desserts Required
- Peach Maple Mascarpone Dessert Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Apricot Chicken Brie Flatbread Pizza by Feed Me, Seymour
- Autumn Sausage & Sweet Potato Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Balsamic Steak and Arugula Pizza by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Parmesan Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Chorizo and Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arugula by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Flammkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Fig + Prosciutto Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Jalapeño Popper White Pizza by Food Done Light
- Meat Lover’s Skillet Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pasta Pizza Pie by Alida’s Kitchen
- Pizza Bagels by Recipe for Perfection
- Portuguese Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Corn Pizza by Brunch with Joy
- Sauerkraut and Meatball Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza by Casa de Crews
- Thai Chicken Pizza by The Redhead Baker
Also Featured: Simple Tips for Wine Cheese Pairings plus Pizza Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards.
Need more ideas for celebrating National Pizza Month? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Check out more Gallo Family Vineyards pizza recipes and follow them on social media to keep up the latest on their happenings and wines: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Gallo Family Vineyards website has lots of information on their wines plus wine & food pairings and a handy store locator.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards