My heart be still. The Portuguese Hamburger is one of the most requested recipes at our house. When I heard the Sunday Supper Tastemakers wanted to celebrate Hamburgers and Hot Dogs… well hello! You know I was going to bring back this tasty thing.
I wrote this in 2011. “I have had so many requests for this Recipe lately! Is the Portuguese Hamburger Recipe going to be the next Burger Trend?” Well, yes. It appears the latest trend is an egg on top. I always say the Portuguese cooks were totally on the cutting edge and way ahead of their time.
This is no ordinary burger. There will be no mustard, ketchup or mayo allowed. And don’t even think about topping it with a bun. Oh no, that will never happen. Only one piece of very non traditional crusty toasty bread allowed at the bottom and then we let the chorizo sauce shine through. Trust me on this, you will not need any other condiments.
I am not kidding. The sauce is out of this world. You all know how delicious garlic, parsley, wine come together… just imagine adding Portuguese chourico that is packed with flavor. Once you burst through that egg and mix it with the burger and sauce. There is a change you will never go back to an ordinary burger and wait until you taste that delicious crusty bread soaked in this sauce. Totally over the top!
- 1 lb ground beef, I use 80/20
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Portuguese Chourico or European dried chorizo (not the Mexican kind)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, sliced
- 1 Cup Portuguese Vinho Verde or your favorite white wine
- ¼ cup Portuguese Chourico or dried Chorizo (not the mexican kind) sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 Eggs
- 4 pieces of crusty bread
- Sea Salt and Fresh Pepper to taste
- To prepare the patties, divide beef into 4 portions, lightly shaping each into a ½-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle evenly with garlic powder, paprika, and sea salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Brush the burgers with olive oil.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with remainder of olive oil.
- Add patties; cook 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Add the garlic and chopped chorizo. Saute until they start popping but be careful not to burn (there is nothing worse than burnt garlic.)
- Add the wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the additional sliced chorizo, parsley and bay leaves.
- Once sauce is reduced in half, remove bay leaf and add the butter.
- Simmer on low while frying the eggs sunny side up in a separate frying pan.
- Remove the eggs and place one on top of each Burger. Spoon Some of the Sauce with the chorizo over the eggs.
- Toaste 4 slices of crusty bread and place the egg/burger over a slice of crusty bread... add more sauce and chorizo over the top.
- Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste and garnish with additional parsley.
- You won't be able to resist!
This brought back so many fun memories of when my kids would rate everything I cooked. Ratings by my boys:Ronnie 10, Reis 10, Riley 10…. Can you tell they may have had this before and it is one of their favorite meals!
We are celebrating Hamburger and Hot Dogs this week. There are so many ways to enjoy hot dogs and hamburgers! Our Sunday Supper Tastemakers will show you their favorite creative recipes at our virtual table this week. Y I can’t wait to read The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hot Dog Wine Pairing Guide from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog!
Join us around our virtual table on Sunday as we share our best recipes for burgers and dogs. And don’t forget to head over to twitter on Sunday 7pm ET for our fun and lively chat! Take a peek at the list below and be sure to let us know what you will be bringing to this week’s virtual line up! As always, we will have an exciting twitter chat Sunday evening at 7pmET. Join us as we share
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burgers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Whiskey Cheddar Burger by From Gate to Plate
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dogs by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Michigan Hot Dog by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Perfect Corn Dogs by My World Simplified
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Chicken Sate Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese & Fig Burgers by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers with Balsamic Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Puka Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spicy Terimayo Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Hot Dogs with French Fries) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- California Dreaming Shrimp Burgers by The Weekend Gourmet
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Bacon Cheeseburger Dip by Love and Confections
- Cheeseburger Salad by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- California Burger Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Dessert Hamburgers and Fries by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- Choose The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post has been updated from a previous 2011 post. Oh thank goodness. You really did not want to see those pictures.