Portuguese Meatballs in a Garlicky Wine Sauce will wow your tastebuds.
My Italian friends are going to be in an uproar. What? Portuguese meatballs. What? No tomato sauce? I love a good traditional Italian Meatball or Pork Meatball but I have to tell you, this little number has won my heart. The combination of flavors packed into this little meatball are so good. Imagine beef and sausage in a garlicky wine sauce and little bits of crispy, spicy chorizo in every bite. Have I won you over yet? Tell the truth… you are intrigued and think about trying these bad boys.
I have one more confession. I don’t serve these meatballs over pasta. I know, I know, meatballs are supposed to be served over pasta. Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce are best served over Portugese Rice. Trust me on this one.
I wish you were in my kitchen tonight. All three of my boys are enjoying a heaping plate of Portuguese Meatballs and Rice and every time they bite into a crispy chorizo bite they rave about the deliciousness of this dish. So, don’t let the strong flavors of this dish scare you. The wine and lemon mellows out the strong bite of the sausage and chorizo.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground sweet sausage
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for cooking
- 2 small portuguese chorizo (or hard chorizo, not mexican style) diced small
- 1 cup Vinho Verde or white wine of your choice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Additional chopped parsley and lemon slices for garnish
- Combine beef and sausage in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, parsley, paprika, 1 minced garlic clove, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Using your hands, blend ingredients together and add the bread crumbs into meat mixture.
- Shape into 2½ to 3-inch balls.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- When oil is very hot but not smoking, add meatballs in batches.
- When the bottom half of the meatball is very brown and slightly crisp, turn and cook the other half half.
- Add the chorizo and wine and simmer for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the meatballs.
- Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve alone or over Portuguese Rice.
Clearly, I am not alone in my love for meatballs. Something tells me or biggest problem is going to be how to choose which recipes to try first from today’s #SundaySpper line-up.Meatball Appetizers:
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Ranch Stroganoff from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement