It is so true that people come into our lives when we we’re not expecting it and somehow you can’t remember how life was before they became part of your world. I met Renee Dobbs on twitter when I first joined. We started conversing on almost a daily basis and I found myself looking for her when I logged on and l looked forward to hearing about her garden, recipes and wine selection. I love that she inspired me to share one of my favorite recipes with you. Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce always reminds me of my childhood in Portugal.
Renee and I started our blogs around the same time and Renee was one of the first people that tweeted out my post. I read her first post too and became envious of her backyard get-together. It was beautiful and filled with great food, awesome neighbors and friends. Renee was the kind of person that I wished lived right next door to me.
When reading her blog, Magnolia Days, I envision us sitting out back enjoying a cup of coffee or a great glass of wine. It is one of those blogs that I look forward to every single post because I know it is always filled with inspiration…. try a new recipe, plant a new flower or run out a buy that wine that Renee says is a must try.
Although Renee and I have never met, I am honored to call her one of my very good friends. I truly don’t know what I would do without her daily encouragement and support. When I asked her to be a Guest Host for #SundaySupper, she didn’t hesitate and immediately came up with the idea of Heritage. Heritage is near and dear to my heart and I can’t wait to share my recipe for Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce with all of you.
When I think of this recipe, I am immediately brought back to Praia de Peniche in Portugal.
My grandfather and I would spend hours picking mussels from the rocks on this beach. I don’t know if we filled our buckets with as many mussels as we ate right there and then. They were delicious and perfectly salted. We couldn’t wait to get back home and have some more. My grandmother made the best Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce in her clay pot on her one burner gas stove. The only thing that made it better was her fresh out of the oven Portuguese Bread to dip in the sauce!
Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce #SundaySupper Recipe
- 1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 small Chorizo diced
- 1 Green Pepper diced
- 1 Large Tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 1/2 750ml Bottle of White Wine, I love Portuguese Vinho Verde
- 1 Lb of Mussels
- 1 Lb of Shrimp
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Parsley
- Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
- Line a large heavy pan or clay pot with olive oil
- Add minced garlic, chorizo, diced green pepper and large tomato and simmer until slightly browned
- Add bay leaf, tomato paste and wine and stir on medium heat until your kitchen smells amazing and the sauce is blended well
- Add Mussels and Shrimp and cover pot
- Cook on medium for 10 minutes
- Discard any unopened Mussels
- Sprinkle with parsley and salt and pepper and stir until well blended
Thank you Renee for bringing me back to my days spent on the beach in Portugal with my Grandfather! Are you ready to travel Around the World for #SundaySupper this week?
- Scotch Eggs and Brotchen Rolls – The Meltaways
- Apple Kuchen – Mrs. Mama Hen
- Spaghetti Carbonara – Katherine Martinelli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash – Make Dinner Easy
- Potato and Spinach Knishes – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- German Potato Salad – Magnolia Days
- Sausage and Broccoli with Orecchiette – Daddy Knows Less
- Chicken Enchiladas Suizas – The Weekend Gourmet
- Strawberry Tiramisu – Chocolate Moosey
- Chocoflan – Juanita’s Cocina
- Egg Liqueur Cake – The German Foodie
- Rasmalai (Ricotta in Sweet Coconut Milk with Almonds and Pistachio) – Sue’s Nutrition Blog
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad – In the Kitchen With KP
- Rouladen – Midlife Road Trip
- Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken and Rum Raising Cupcakes with Maple Frosting – What Smells So Good?
- Keftikas (Turkish Meat and Leek Patties) – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Croque Monsieur with a Béchamel sauce – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Momma’s Meat Pie with Poutine Sauce – Momma’s Meals
- Polish Rustic Plum Tart – Comfy Cuisine
- Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes) – Cositas Bonitas
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding – The Lovely Pantry
- Borscht Shooters – Cookistry
- Shepard’s Pie – Big Bear’s Wife
- Parsnip Cakes – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Roasted Curried Vegetables – Hot Curries & Cold Beer
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in a Chorizo Sauce – Family Foodie
- Kalbi Steak Kimchi Grilled Cheese – Damn Delicious
- Wine pairings for all the recipes – ENOFYLZ
Join us this week for our International Cuisine! We love your recipes, tips and inspiration and love connecting with new friends. The fun starts at 3pm EST and lasts all afternoon until dinner time and sometimes beyond. All you have to do is follow the hashtag #sundaysupper on twitter or follow along on TweetChat. There is always room Around the Family Table for you.