Are you ready? Can you believe it’s that time already… I bought my first Christmas present yesterday. I don’t know what has gotten into me, that is actually really, really early for me. Ready or not, the Holiday’s are upon us and it’s time to think about what to get those people that have touched our lives all throughout the year. You know, the teachers, neighbors, doctors and mail carriers. Everyone can always use an extra gift card, but there is something so impersonal about a gift card on it’s own. Yet, there is something so special and comforting about gifts that come from the kitchen. Knowing how much I love to spend time Around the Family Table, my friends have come to expect and look forward to my homemade gifts every year. Last year, I made Banana Bread with Flavored Chocolates. That was a big hit, but this year, I wanted something really different. I am making one of Vo-Vo’s favorite recipes, Doce de Abobora or Pumpkin Butter.
Doce de Abobora or Pumpkin Butter ~ always takes me back to my childhood. Vo-vo made this every fall and froze it so that we would have it throughout the year. It is absolutely amazing on toasted crusty bread with a cup of coffee. Sometimes the simplest things in life are truly the best.
How to make Personalized Jars ~ I love these jars because you can customize them and truly make this a special container to store your Doce de Abobora, Portuguese Pumpkin Butter. The best part about it, they are almost free. I save all the glass jars we use throughout the year. Once washed, I just use sand paper on the caps and then use black chalk paint on them. Once they are dry, you can write anything you like on them with chalk, erase and rename. These also make great storage jars in the kitchen and bathroom.
I love Thrifty Finds for the Holidays ~ I love to go thrifting on Saturday mornings. One of my favorite things to look for is little inexpensive add-ons for homemade gifts. One Saturday morning while thrifting, Reis and I found these 6 miniature spoons in all different sizes with a beautiful stone at the end. They were so beautiful and the price on the six was only seventy-five cents. I picked them up, not knowing what I would use them for but just knowing I couldn’t pass up such a bargain. When I decided to make Portuguese Pumpkin Butter, Doce de Abobora for my friends this year, I knew this was the perfect touch to add to this gift. They are just gorgeous.
Portuguese Pumpkin Butter, Doce de Abobora is the perfect spread for thick crusty bread in the morning with a cup of coffee or with simple sweet crackers like Bolachas Maria with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 cups of Sugar
- 1 cup of Water
- 1 small Pumpkin cut into cubes
- Juice from 3 Oranges, approximately ½ cup
- ½ teaspoon of Butter
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Mix the Sugar and Water juice and bring to a boil in a heavy bottom saucepan
- Add the Pumpkin cubes and the juice from the Oranges and bring back to a boil
- Simmer on low stirring constantly for approximately 30 minutes or until the Pumpkin is cooked and soft
- Add Butter and Cinnamon and continue to stir for another 5 minutes
- Let cool
- Puree in a Food Processor
- Add to jars
- Doce de Abobora, Portuguese Pumpkin Butter can be frozen in zip-loc bags and defrosted later
I am so honored to have Susan, one of our Sunday Supper contributors, aka The Wimpy Vegetarian host this weeks Holiday Gifts from the Kitchen, Sunday Supper theme. Holiday Gifts from The Kitchen mean so much more than anything purchased from the store. These gifts are made with love and are sure to make that special person know how much they mean to you. Check out this week’s amazing Sunday Supper Recipes:
HOLIDAY GIFTS FROM THE KITCHEN #SUNDAYSUPPER:
Breads / Breakfast
- Pumpkin Biscoff Bread – Dinners, Dishes, and Dessert
- All-in-One Beer Bread Kit – girlichef
- Banana Coconut Coffee Cake with Macadamia Nut Streusel – The Lovely Pantry
- Pancake Mix With Apple Cider Syrup and Candied Walnuts – Tora’s Real Food
- Cranberry Hootycreeks – Baker Street
Condiments / Ingredients
- Apple Butter – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Strawberry Jam – The Meltaways
- Herb Vinegars – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Harissa – The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Homemade Vanilla Extract – Flour on my Face
- Homemade Cherry Extract – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Nutella Powder – I Run For Wine
- Apricot Pineapple Rum Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Spiced Cranberry Apricot Almond Chutney – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pumpkin Butter – Family Foodie
- Orange BBQ Sauce – Mid Life Road Trip
Soup and Snacks
- A Soup For You – Momma’s Meals
- Maple Nut Granola – Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Spicy Curried Nuts – Soni’s Food for Thought
- Roasted Spiced Nuts – Mrs Mama Hen
- Sweet and Spicy Pecans – Supper For a Steal
- Maple Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars – Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Orange Spiced Chickpeas – Home Cooking Memories
- Turtle Pretzels – The Messy Baker
- Rocky Road Candy – Magnolia Days
- Dairyfree Vegan Caramels – Galactosemia in PDX
- Peanut Butter Cookies in a Jar – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- M&M Cookies in a Jar – Damn Delicious
- Monster Cookie Mix in a Jar – What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Biscotti – Meal Planning Magic
- Snickerdoodle Snack Mix – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Butter and Jam Thumbprint Cookies – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Peppermint Stick Cookie Truffles – The Weekend Gourmet
- Nutella Truffles – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Peanut Cajetas (Peanut Fudge) – Basic and Delicious
- Cookie Cutter Fudge – Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Roll – Shockingly Delicious
- Homemade Chocolates – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chocolate Toffee “Crack” – Ruffles and Truffles
- Holiday Tree Cake – Noshing with the Nolands
- Salted Caramel Cookies – Mama Mommy Mom
- Fruit and Nut Cookies – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Applepie Moonshine – My Catholic Kitchen
- Holiday Spiced Mocha – Daily Dish Recipes
- Homemade Peppermint Mocha Mix – In the Kitchen with KP
- Homemade Kahlua – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on November 11. In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.
We’d also love to feature your recipe for Holiday Gifts From the Kitchen on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.
You will love Susan’s Blog. It is filled with amazing Sunday Supper and Weekday Supper recipes and tips. Head on over to The Wimpy Vegetarian and say hello!