These Potato and Chorizo Bites dipped in Portuguese Piri-Piri Sauce are perfect little bites for any get-together.
This recipe takes me right back to childhood Summers in Portugal. We spent our days on the beach of Peniche and many times would enjoy lunch at one of the Tascas close to the beach. Our menu mostly consisted of petiscos. I loved those days of enjoying special lunches with my cousins. I still remember how the food tasted. To this day, my mouth waters just thinking about it.
The translation of tascas is cheap food or bar food. Petiscos are considered small “tidbits”. Many times those tidbits were prepared in a Piri Piri Sauce and drizzled with lemon. Of course, there was always some type of chorizo or linguica involved. The combination of flavors were just amazing.
Potatoes are also a common staple in Portuguese Cuisine. When I received these gorgeous Idaho® Potato fingerlings, I immediately thought about Chorizo, Garlic and Piri-Piri sauce married together with the potatoes. I adore fingerlings for their sweet, buttery and nutty flavor and this particular batch was amazing. The purple and red added a splash of color to this dish. I fell in love with the beautiful colors when I cut into these little guys.
This recipe was a huge hit at a recent get together with friends. They are the perfect little tidbit and plates are not required when serving. I look forward to making this appetizer when Alex, Ronnie and Vo-Vo and Vo will be joining us.
- 8 small Chorizo Caseiro or Portuguese style (Mexican Chorizo does not work well in this recipe)
- 2 pounds Idaho® fingerling potatoes (I loved using white, purple and red in this recipe)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (if you want to kick up the heat, feel free to add more)
- ¼ cup Piri-Piri or Peri-Peri Sauce
- 1 lemon cut in wedges
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- toothpicks to hold the appetizer together
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Remove the casing from the chorizo and slice into ¼ inch medallions
- Slice the fingerling potatoes into ¼ inch slices
- Using a toothpick, alternate skewering the chorizo and potatoes. Approximately 5-6 pieces on each toothpick.
- In a small plate, mix the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika and chili powder. I am a wimp, so this recipe only has a little kick. Feel free to spice it up by doubling the chili powder.
- Roll each of the potato and chorizo skewers in the olive oil mixture until well coated all the way around.
- Place the potato and chorizo skewers on a sheet pan and bake at 375º for approximately 45-50 minutes or until the potatoes are crispy on the outside.
- Remove from oven and arrange the skewers on a large platter with a small bowl of piri-piri sauce. I use mild but many times will use milk piri-piri and hot piri-piri when entertaining.
- Sprinkle with green onion slices and garnish with lemon slices and sprinkle additional lemon juice prior to serving.
You have got to check out our more Potato Pinterest board for more Idaho®Potato Appetizer recipes.
Join us for Sunday’s 7 p.m. ET Twitter chat when we talk about our favorites ways to cook with potatoes and share recipes for potato appetizers. In the meantime, here’s a preview of the recipes to come:
- 10 Potato Toppings by Sunday Supper Movement
- Baby Duchess Potato Bites by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Potatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Potato Skins by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Patties with Avocado Cream by I’m Not the Nanny
- Cheesy Taco Potato Bites by Flavor Mosaic
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Skins by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Honey Sriracha Fries with Crème Fraiche by Whole Food | Real Families
- Indian Spiced Potato Pastry Shells by Soni’s Food
- Loaded Baked Potato Stuffed Mushrooms by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Loaded Baked Potato Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Potato Crab Cakes by Magnolia Days
- Potato and Chorizo Bites by Family Foodie
- Purple Potato Puffs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Smoky Paprika Potato Kebabs with Bacon and Blue Cheese Dip by Food Done Light
- Smoky Potato Pie Cups by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Potato Skewers with Paprika Dipping Sauce by Rhubarb and Honey
- Spiralized Shoestring Garlic Truffle Fries with Aioli by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Two-Bite Potato Salad Cups by Shockingly Delicious
- Waffled Twice Baked Potato Pancake Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Window Pane Potato Chips by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are those of the individual bloggers.