Happy Easter Friends! What’s on your menu today? It appears that I am one of the few people who is NOT cooking ham today. In fact, there is nothing traditional about this Easter Holiday. I know you must be wondering, who in their right mind serves Red Cabbage Citrus Salad on Easter Sunday? Well…
It all started with a phone call from my dad three weeks ago. Have I told you that my parents are obsessed with cruises? I mean obsessed as in one or two or even three cruises a year. Well they also take turns taking two of my children with them on the cruise. This year it was Reis and Riley’s turn to go with them. My dad, being the cruise bargain hunter, found a cruise at a great price, but it was departing on Easter morning. At first, I was a little taken back by the thought of not spending Easter with my parents and my children for the first time. But the more I thought about it, this really is the perfect week. The kids are on Spring Break and won’t miss any school.
That was the first odd event about this Easter. Then, Alexandra and her boyfriend came home from college and announced that they were really, really, really craving Chicken Marsala. It would never have occurred to me to serve Chicken Marsala on Easter Sunday, but well, we do always cook whatever she is craving when she comes home.
Then today, I went to our local farmer’s market intending on picking up fruit, vegetables, cheese and bread, but something caught my attention. It was a stand I have never seen before, and they were selling one of our favorite things- homemade Lobster and Crab Ravioli. I immediately envisioned the Ravioli with a light Lemon Garlic Wine Sauce and just couldn’t pass them up.
So what does this all have to do with the Red Cabbage Citrus Salad? WELL, it is National Oranges and Lemons day, and the Sunday Supper Team is celebrating by showcasing Citrus Recipes. Jen from Juanita’s Cocina is our host, and we are featuring everything Citrus! As soon as Jen mentioned this theme, I could not wait. I had recently made the most amazing Red Cabbage Citrus Salad to go with the Miso Cod from Steamy Kitchen’s Cookbook. My family loved it, and we realized we really wanted it to be part of our Easter Menu.
Soooo… here is our very unusual menu for a very unusual Easter Sunday:
- Fresh Mozzarella with Prosciutto di Parma
- Easter Deviled Egg Bar
- Lobster and Shrimp Ravioli in a Lemon Garlic Wine Sauce
- Chicken Marsala over Pasta
- Folar de Pascoa
- Portuguese Flan Pudding
- 1 head of red cabbage, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 orange or 3 clementines
- 1 leek, chopped fine
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 Orange or 3 Clementines, juiced
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the red cabbage, red pepper, orange and leek in a large bowl.
- Add the Vinaigrette a little at a time and mix well.
- *Vinaigrette can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated.
What’s on your Easter Menu this year?
This week’s Sunday Supper Recipes are making me drool already. These Citrus Recipes are perfect for this time of year!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.