The summer is almost over, my kiddos are back to school, I am a little sad but and I also am looking forward to Labor Day Weekend. This weekend is filled with memories for me. We were married on Labor Day Weekend and Reis was born on our anniversary. We love to celebrate with family and friends and enjoy a potluck Labor Day party. I find that pasta dishes are always appropriate for get togethers because everyone loves them and they are usually great to prepare ahead of time. We recently came up with this recipe for Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta and it was immediately a hit. What I love most is that you can whip it up and serve it in the skillet immediately or throw it in a casserole dish and reheat to serve to a crowd.
Okay, that is not true. What I truly love most is how delicious this dish becomes when paired with Gallo Family Riesling. I not only used Gallo Family Riesling in the dish but I also love to enjoy Riesling with this savory pasta dish. The Gallo Riesling features whispers of honeysuckle, juicy peach, pear and ripe citrus. It’s the perfect compliment to this spicy pasta dish! If you would like to try this pairing this dish with Gallo Family Riesling, here is a $1 off coupon.
- 16 ounces orecchiette pasta, or shell shaped pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound hot bulk pork sausage, or remove casing from your favorite sausage
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced thick
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 slices of thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat from the bacon
- 1 cup of Gallo Riesling
- 1 cup pasta water
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan shavings, optional
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook as the label directs.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into small squares and cook in a small skillet for approximately 5 minutes until crispy. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon and drain the bacon using paper towels to remove fat.
- Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Add the wine and bacon fat to the skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in the pasta and cheese, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with crispy bacon and parmesan shavings if desired and serve immediately.
- If making this dish ahead of time, place in a large glass casserole dish and refrigerate. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with crispy bacon and parmesan shavings.
In honor of Labor Day, Sunday Supper Family has created some amazing recipes and we are ready to spend the last few weeks of summer planning a scrumptious Labor Day feast to pair with our favorite Gallo Family wines. These recipes will not only pair well with wine, but many times the wine is included in the dish itself! We invite you to join us around the family table along with Gallo Family this week. The 20 recipes included in this week’s menu are made using (or are meant to be paired with) Gallo Family’s new Riesling or their Sweet Red. We hope you will bring along some of your favorite recipes and pairings as well.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards’ wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website (where you can also find a store locator). While you’re there, browse more Labor Day recipes. You can also connect with them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for more inspiration and updates. And, if you’re ready to incorporate Gallo Family into your menu, here is a $1 off coupon to get you started!
And don’t forget…Gallo Family want you save those corks to help end senior hunger. For the 5th year, our Every Cork Counts program invites Americans to send back their corks to benefit the Meals On Wheels Association of America. Every cork collected garners $1 for Meals on Wheels, and it’s easy to donate!
Labor Day Beverages:
- German Strawberry Wine Punch (Erdbeerbowle) by Magnolia Days
- Ginger Plum Sangria by Jelly Toast
- Lemon Lime Wine Sparkle by Basic N Delicious
- Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Labor Day Savory Bites:
- Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling by Webicurean
- Buffalo Ranch Pasta Salad by Foxes Love Lemons
- Clams in White Wine Sauce with Goat Cheese Crostini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Deconstructed Egg Rolls by Ruffles & Truffles
- Peach Mango Grilled Chicken over Quinoa by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta by Family Foodie
- Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Labor Day Desserts:
- Brown Butter Grilled Peach Cupcakes with Riesling Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mango Riesling Coulis by Run DMT
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake by Desserts Required
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Peach Granita Sundaes by Melanie Makes
- Peach Riesling Buckle by girlichef
- Riesling Infused Peach and Blueberry Cobbler by In The Kitchen With KP
- Riesling Poached Peaches with Mascarpone Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Wine Ice Cream by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more greatSunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.