I have a confession to make. I had never made chili. There, I said it. From the response that I received from my followers, clearly my lack of amor for chili is just appalling to most. You can imagine, when a chili cook-off was suggested by our Sunday Supper Contributors, I cringed. Not just a little, I really cringed.
Well, it was time for me to step up to the plate and come up with a chili recipe that my family would love. We decided we wanted to have fun with our chili and create a recipe that wasn’t –oh so traditional. After chatting, collaborating and taking everyone’s opinions into consideration, we came up with Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili.
This recipe couldn’t be any easier and it was a huge hit! So much so, that Reis had his crew over the following day and he requested the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili again. I actually doubled the recipe to feed the crew. And perhaps they were just being kind to Reis’s mother, but they did rate the Chili a perfect 10! Gotta love these guys. Here they are on instagram. And while they were hanging out and having fun, Ron and I had the hard job of choosing which wine we should pair with the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili. Which one do you think we chose? Initially we thought the Merlot would be perfect but after tasting the sweeter wine with the spicy chili — it was clearly a winner.
So the million dollar question is — is my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili good enough to win the cook-off? The dish with the most votes at the end of the voting period will get one ticket to the 2014 Food and Wine Conference, being held once again in sunny Orlando, Florida this July + a $25 gift card. Trust me when I tell you, you are going to want to check out all the fabulous Chili Recipes from our contributors and vote for them HERE.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds all-white meat ground chicken breast
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ¼ to ½ cup buffalo chicken wing sauce, depending on how hot you like it
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- ¼ blue cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup corn chips, crushed
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced thin
- Turn Slow Cooker on high and add the olive oil.
- Add the ground chicken, using the back of a wooden spoon to break it up in to small pieces
- Add the carrot, onion, celery, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, bay leaf, tomato sauce and buffalo chicken wing sauce.
- Stir well and cover and cook on high for approximately 4 hours, stirring every hour.
- You may have to use a wooden spoon to break up the chicken a bit.
- Bring crock pot to low and cook for an additional hour or until all the juices are absorbed.
- Pull the bay leaf out and discard.
- Serve over pasta or rice and top each serving with blue cheese dressing, blue cheese or cheddar cheese, green onions, crushed corn chips and jalapeno peppers.
- The best part about this meal, everyone gets to create their own chili bowl.
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.