I love a good birthday celebration. What’s more fun than getting together with family and friends to celebrate that once a year special event? At our house, we celebrate birthdays by letting the birthday boy or girl choose their favorite meal. Sometimes it is something fancy like Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Garlic and Caper Sauce or something fun like Portuguese Pulled Pork. Part of the fun is planning the menu leading up to the birthday celebration. Many times changing our minds and substituting a dish and creating a new recipe. But one thing is for sure, we get more excited about our menu as the big day gets closer and we love to make the birthday boy or girl feel like a million bucks.
When it comes to birthdays, it’s all about putting together a great menu that shows loved ones how much we care! This week, we are gathering around the family table to break bread and celebrate with special guests. Gallo Family Vineyards is celebrating Hearty Burgundy’s 50th Birthday. Since 1964 it’s been one of their family’s favorites — needless to say, this calls for a special menu. Since I am a big believer that wine sauces make even the simplest dishes feel ” special and fancy.” I couldn’t wait to try a Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast, featuring the birthday wine, Hearty Burgundy.
- 3 to 4 pound Pork Shoulder Blade Roast, Bone In
- 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons powdered garlic
- 2 tablespoons spanish paprika
- 1 cup Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place pork shoulder blade in the slow cooker
- Sprinkle with worcestershire sauce, powdered garlic and paprika until well coated on top and sides
- Add Gallo Hearty Burgundy to the bottom of the slow cooker
- Place the bay leaves on top of the pork roast
- Cook on low setting for approximately 8 to 10 hours
- Slice and baste with the delicious wine sauce
- Serve over mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes
If there was any doubt in my mind that a wine sauce could take the simplest of ingredients and take a dish to the next level, this recipe completely proved it. The Hearty Wine Sauce made this inexpensive piece of meat so delicious that it truly could be served during a birthday party or holiday. I would compare this dish to a restaurant quality Osso Buco, it really is that tasty. The best part about it, throw it in the slow cooker and forget about it for the next 10 hours. Your house will smell amazing all day long, as the pork cooks slowly for hours. When it is ready to serve, be ready for a delectable pork dish with a light but rich wine sauce.
Hearty Burgundy is known as Gallo’s “Original Red Blend.” It combines mouth-watering richness with flavors ranging from dark berry to red plum. With its well-balanced fruit and subtle hints of oak, the medium-bodied, dry Hearty Burgundy paired perfectly with the Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast. Ron and I really enjoyed the Hearty Burgundy and I think I already know what Ron will be requesting for his birthday dish this year.
This limited edition Hearty Burgundy will be available on the shelves of your local retailers starting this month. To find a retailer near you, click here. You can also visit Gallo’s website or connect with via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube.
The Sunday Supper Family went “all out” and created their favorite recipes to commemorate Hearty Burgundy’s Birthday. Check out the recipes and tips on pairing the medium-bodied, Hearty Burgundy. Cheers to the Gallo Family and Hearty Burgundy!
- Fruity Burgundy Sangria by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry by Webicurean
- Beef Burgundy Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef by The Dinner-Mom
- Classic Coq au Vin by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cornish Beef Pasty with Burgundy Gravy by Neighborfood
- Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Majestic Burgundy Mushrooms & Cookie Cups with Burgundy Cream by NinjaBaking.com
- Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Oeufs en Meurette by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pollo Alla Cacciatorra (Hunter-Style Chicken) by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Salmon with Burgundy-Balsamic Glaze by girlichef
- Sausage & Mushroom Ragu by The Messy Baker
- Sausages in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms by Soni’s Food
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle by Hip Foodie Mom
- Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Berry Burgundy Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Red Wine Cherry Chocolate Bars by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.