When strawberries are in season, our family could easily go through 2 pints a day. I am not kidding, we love strawberries and make strawberry smoothies, strawberry salads and love them drizzled in honey. The possibilities seem endless.
This Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Flatbread came together after a busy weeknight – I took a peek in our fridge hoping to find something that would come together for dinner. The strawberries we had recently picked at a local farm were calling my name and all the ingredients were in stock.
We are hoping that next year at this time, we will have beautiful strawberry plants growing in our back yard.
The seed has been planted…
We love incorporating salads into our meals and what a great way to come up with a meal the entire family will enjoy — The Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Flatbread were an instant hit at our home and one that we turn to over and over when we have a pint or two of strawberries waiting for us.
The kids absolutely adore the Blueberry dressing and love that they can add their own toppings.
American Family Insurance is the champion of Dreams and wants to encourage our Dreams. By staying active and making healthy food choices, you and your family are better equipped to #ChooseDreams.For even more inspiration, follow the Recipes from the Garden #ChooseDreams Pinterest board, or connect with American Family Insurance on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+,YouTube, or LinkedIn! And don’t forget our live twitter chat on Sunday evening at 7pm ET following the #SundaySupper hashtag – we’re chatting with AmFam, and we would love for you to bring your favorite tips and recipes from the garden and join the fun!
- 4 Naan Flat Breads
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 teaspoons unsalted Butter
- 1 pound Strawberries, sliced
- 1 head of Butter Lettuce or Sweet Frisee Lettuce, chopped fine
- 2 ounces Goat Cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup Walnuts, chopped
- 8 tablespoons Blueberry Vinaigrette
- 4-6 basil leaves cut into small strips
- Ingredients for the Blueberry Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup of Blueberries
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Top each flatbread with ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese
- Place on pizza pans or pizza stone and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let sit
- Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat
- Add the onions and let them cook until they are deep golden brown and caramelized
- Season with fresh ground sea salt and pepper
- Add ¼ of the onions on top of each flatbread and spread evenly
- Lay ½ the sliced strawberries on top of the onions
- Place back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and plate when slightly cooled
- Add ¼ of the lettuce to each flatbread
- Top with remaining strawberries, crumbled goat cheese, walnuts and basil, evenly divided on each flatbread
- Drizzle each flatbread salad with 2 tablespoons of Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Directions for the Blueberry Vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process on high for approximately 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Use strainer to remove any of the blueberry bits.
- Add to a glass jar or mason jar.
- Store in refrigerator overnight.
- Shake well before serving.
Inspired by American Family Insurance, we are bringing you recipes from the garden all month long. Check out this week’s fantastic recipes:
Monday – Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Flatbread Salad by *me*
Tuesday – Potato Corn Chowder by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Wednesday – Huevos Rancheros by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Thursday – Veggie Quesadillas by The Foodie Army Wife
Friday – Garden Vegetable Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.