It’s hard for me to believe this reality… my kids are getting older. I can’t believe I have one in grade school, one in middle school, one in high school and one in college. As my children grow, I have learned how precious time is. I picked up Reis and Riley on their first day of school with Gracie in tow and we headed to the park. They had been asking to try a Cuban Sandwich. The Cuban Sandwich is so popular in our area but we had yet to try this Tampa delicacy.
Not only did we have a great afternoon at the park, we fell in love the Cuban Sandwich. This recipe is perfect for reinventing leftovers. Pork is a popular Sunday Supper or Weekday Supper Recipe for us and I just happened to have some leftovers. It was so much fun surprising the boys with Gracie and a picnic basket filled with drinks and the Cuban Sandwich.
It is so true, the family table can be anywhere and the memories that are made will last a lifetime. Sunday Supper, Weekday Supper, Lunch or dinner…this is an awesome sandwich.
- 1 loaf Cuban bread
- 1-ounce yellow mustard
- 4 dill pickles
- 5 slices cooked ham sliced thin
- 2 slices roast pork sliced thin or shredded
- 1 slice imported Swiss cheese
- 1-ounce butter
- Cut Cuban bread to desired size, common size is 7 inches (we made 3 sandwiches with one Cuban bread loaf
- Next, slice open the bread down the middle
- On the topside of the bread spread 1-ounce of mustard, evenly across Then place 4 sliced pickles on top of the mustard
- You then place 1 slice of Swiss cheese on top of the pickles
- Fold each slice of ham in half and place evenly on bottom of bread.
- On top of the ham, place pork
- You then join both halves of the sandwich.
- You are now ready to grill your Cuban sandwich.
- Use a sandwich grill if you have one, a waffle iron if not.
- Spread butter on top of the bread evenly.
- Close the grill, smashing the sandwich.
- Leave sandwich in the grill until top of bread turns to a golden brown, and top is crisp.
- Approximate time is 4 to 6 minutes.
- After the sandwich is crispy and the cheese has melted, remove the sandwich carefully and slice it diagonally, from corner to corner.
Kid Rating: Ronnie 9.5, Reis 9, Riley8.5