There was actually a time in my life that I had a slice of pizza every. single. day. I am really dating myself here, but when I was in high school, a $1.50 would buy me a slice of pizza, a small drink and a brownie. So, there you have it. For four years, that was my lunch and I couldn’t have been any happier.
Of course, as I got older, I realized that eating pizza every day may not be so kind to the waistline and I started coming up with twists on my dear old favorite. You may have noticed that I post lots of pics of flatbread creations that my family enjoys. Flatbreads are the new pizza in my life. They are thinner, crispy and I love adding veggies to them. One of my favorite ways to prepare them is by topping them with a salad on top.
You may remember I posted some really delicious ones this past year – Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread, Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Flatbread, Asparagus Chicken Flatbread, Strawberry Mozzarella Flatbread? These flatbread are so fun and a great way to lighten up a traditional pizza with new flavors.
This recipe for Tomato Goat Cheese and Arugula Flatbread is absolutely delicious and the arugula is such an awesome topping. If you have ever tried honey and goat cheese, you are in for a treat when you drizzle this lemon honey dressing on top. Speaking of things that I can eat every day — arugula has become a new favorite at my house. I have become a little bit obsessed. Hey, if you have to crave something every day, there certainly are worst things.
- 1 thin flatbread
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large sprig of oregano
- 2 ounces goat cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- juice from ½ lemon
- fresh ground sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup arugula
- Preheat oven to 375 º
- Spread the tomato sauce over the flatbread and place on a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Place the mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce and layer the plum tomatoes on top.
- Reserve 3 slices of the plum tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt and ½ of the oregano leaves.
- Place small pieces of goat cheese in each of the tomatoes.
- Bake for approximately 10 to 15 minutes or until the flatbread is crispy and cheese is bubbling.
- In the meantime, combine and whisk the lemon, olive oil, honey and salt and pepper in a small bowl until well blended.
- Chop the 3 slices of tomatoes.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven and add the arugula and chopped tomato on top on top.
- Drizzle the lemon and honey dressing over the arugula.
- Sprinkle with additional goat cheese if desired.
I am thrilled to be kicking off our 4th year of Sunday Supper events with this week’s Lighter New Year event hosted by Gluten Free Crumbley. Cheers to a Healthy and Happy New Year and memories around the family table in 2015!
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.