This is one of my least fussy- throw it together and go Sunday Supper Recipes. Here is the thing, you can make almost any substitutions at all to this recipe. Got leftover broccoli? Throw it in. Love chicken or salmon? Throw it in. It truly is that kind of recipe that is so easy to prepare, yet filled with nutritious ingredients when you add beans and veggies. This recipe for White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet has become a staple almost every time we have leftover Portuguese Rice. And we almost always have Portuguese Rice in our refrigerator. It’s a Portuguese thing.
You can make this recipe even healthier by using brown rice. I do it all the time and it is just fantastic.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup cooked corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 15 ounce can of white beans
- 2 tablespoons ponzu sauce
- 2 cups of your favorite cooked rice, I used Portuguese Rice
- 4 green onions, chopped
- fresh ground sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high
- Add the grape tomatoes, corn and white beans and sauté for approximately 5 minutes
- Add the ponzu sauce and stir for another minute
- Stir in the rice and when well mixed, cover for another 5 minutes
- Sprinkle with green onions
- I love to serve it right in the skillet so that it stays nice and warm
Who says great recipes can’t be healthy? February is American Heart Month and the Sunday Supper Family is raising a glass to keeping our families healthy. Check out these strategies you can employ to control blood pressure and keep your heart strong!
This week we will be sharing heart healthy recipes to share around your family table. From breakfasts, to appetizers, soups, sides, snacks, main courses, and even desserts, there will be an incredible amount of inspiration. We are excited to have Ethel of eating in instead and Lori of Foxes Love Lemons joining us and hosting this week’s fantastic event filled with healthy inspiration.
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.